Thursday, May 11, 2006

Let's play a game

The game is called "Now you see it":

"Now you don't":
The pattern (Embossed Leaves Socks IK Winter 2005) is a lovely one and it is very easy to remember. I started yesterday and turned heel this morning. Then why can't you see it anymore?

1. I hate the Susan Bates Silvalume DPNs. I can't tell you how many times the stitches slipped silently off the needles! I used them just because I couldn't find the bamboo needles of the size.

2. I followed the pattern and knitted a twisted rib ... and I think it is ugly ... at least with Fixation. And it is not elastic at all.

3. There is a freaking knot on the yarn just after I finished 2.5 pattern repeats!

4. According to the pattern, each needle should start with 2 purl stitches and end with 1 ... these purl stitches are the background stitches separating the leaves. My last purl stitches on the needles all turned out uglily looser than the other two:

5. Most importantly, the sock I got using size 1 needles was too small! LOL!

So, I ribbed the half sock and switched to size 1.5 bamboo needles, normal k1p1 ribbing cuff, and moved all the purl stitches to the beginning of the needles. And I am hoping I would have enough for a sock with one ball of Fixation minus 2.5 pattern repeats of yarn!

12 comments:

twig said...

OH NO!!! It's a pretty color.

joy said...

What? The yarn is inelastic?

But the color is perfect for that pattern. Good luck with them!

Debi said...

Well take 1 was quite pretty, perfect stitches, perfect color! I hope you enjoy take 2 more!

This is one of my favorite patterns btw.

Debi said...

I forgot to add, great score on the quiz :)

Siow Chin said...

If you shift all the purls in between the motifs, do take not when you reach the heel and have to centre the patterns for top of the foot.

Mimi said...

Oh! it must be frustrating to find out the slipped sts...

erin said...

I have some sock yarn like this that I bought from elaan. I made a top with it. It knits up to a very odd stiff fabric even though it is supposed to be an elastic yarn. I have some leftover that I was thinking of kitting into socks. Good luck with yours!

BethC said...

What a great color... and pattern, I hope the second time is a charm!

Jennifer said...

That pattern is so lovely! I hope the second time works out.

Rebekah said...

Sometimes froggins is the only humane thing to do. I'm sure the sock will live again, in more glory then before!

Jason said...

Oooo, that's a lovely pattern. I tried Susan Bates' Quicksilver with my first pair socks. I quickly found out what a bad idea it was and switched to bamboo.

julia fc said...

I have a pal whose purls after knits are always like that, in pattern and in rib. Always. Curious. The socks are looking lovely, hopefully enough to keep you going. I do so love that pattern. I have some yarn around here someplace: maybe . . .