Friday, May 12, 2006

How we almost got killed today and sock update

We had to make a trip to the bank during lunch ... and we did so in this car. There was this big black Lincoln Navigator in front of us. 30 feet before bearing right into the ramp for the highway, this big car changed into the left lane ... supposed to be going straight. Then all of a sudden, the genius driver changed his mind ... no, he didn't want to go straight ... he wanted to take the highway too! So, this big black hearse-looking car merged into our lane ... luckily Husband stepped on the brake quickly and our car's brake responded extremely well ... if it were 1 second late in response, I might not be able to post anymore.

Husband said most probably that genius driver didn't see us at all ... since his car was so high and ours so low. Both of us were a little bit shaken by the incident ... what a good way to start the weekend! If so happens that you drive a big car like that, I mean no offense here. But very often, drivers in big cars feel that they are safe in their own vehicles but forget about others' safety. We often regard them as living hazards (and we call them a different name not very suitable to be put here!) on the road. This was also the reason that Husband insisted buying an SUV instead of a smaller car (which I much prefer) when I first got my license. In an SUV, he said, at least I would be more visible to others.

Better news with the Embossed Leaves Sock. The one knitted with US1.5 fits:
Really love the leaves pattern. Love it even more when it is knitted up so fast!

I got to prepare for tomorrow's autocross trip. Wish everyone a wonderful weekend ... and stay safe, drive safe.

20 comments:

caitlyn said...

Glad you both are okay!! That sounded like a scary experience. I agree with your husband's reasoning about the SUV. Just being a little bit bigger and higher can help. Unfortunately, there are still lots of reckless drivers out there. The sock looks great. Take care and have a safe weekend.

twig said...

What kind of car is that? It's gorgeous. I much prefer to drive my husband's truck than my car nowadays. It's really high (the bottom of the door is about even with the bottom of my hip bone and I'm not super short) and I like knowing that if an idiot pulls out in front of me or t-bones me, the idiot goes under the truck. *laugh*

But I don't think the guy pulled in front of you because you were in a small car. People are always doing that to us in the truck and it's really hard to miss!

twig said...

Oh I forgot to tell you that Hannah's middle name is Elise. *laugh*

Jennifer said...

Very scary! And like you, it's one of the reasons we bought a small SUV as well.

Toni said...

Whew, glad you stayed safe--lots of drivers forget there are other cars on the road and don't check their blindspots or simply assume the other drivers will move out of the way. Good thing you two were alert.
Your sock's looking fab!

Rose said...

glad you are safe, and holy crap your lotus is beautiful.

Debi said...

Frankly I think drivers are a LOT more reckless now! We drive these huge cars/SUV's with airbags everywhere and I think it makes some drivers think they're invincible!

Anyway, your socks are beautiful, your lotus is dishy, have a great weekend!!

Mimi said...

Oh! that was a close one and so scary! Luckily you are all safe and knitting your leaves socks!

Becky said...

I'm glad that you're okay!

Elspeth said...

There's the Catch 22 -- everyone starts driving larger cars (SUVs and MiniVans are just as bad as each other in many ways) and then you just can't drive a regular car anymore for your safety. It's a vicious cycle. What gets me is the people driving huge vehicles by themselves. I only have my Honda Pilot (which is not Navigator sized) because I have to fit my three kids in somewhere. I'm glad you (and the car) are okay!

And the sock looks great!

hege said...

So happy that you didn't get in an accident! Very scary. Your sock is really beautiful, I love the color. Have a great, safe weekend!

somebunnysloveDOTcom said...

Very cool socks! So glad you are okay. Ugh, I HATE it when giant SUV drivers (especially in Rhode Island) have NO CLUE how to drive. Times like that I thank the lucky stars I've survived!
=:8
http://www.somebunnyslove.com

Kenny said...

Thank you so much for your kind words and comments. I hope to feel better soon.

Alison said...

I hate driving because of everyone else on the road. Glad you're okay. Great sock!

Kathy said...

Someone was watching over you! Im so glad.

Your leafy socks are gorgeous . Great color for them too!

Siow Chin said...

That's just dreadful! But I'm really, really glad that to hear that you're alright. As for your sock, it's looking great and I see you made a short-row heel, no need to worry about where you placed that purl.

Knittinreed said...

Glad you and hubby are okay! That is just too scary!

Nice start on Embossed Leaves. I just finished a pair and also loved the pattern. Enjoy-

erin said...

Oh boy, really glad you're ok. Cars are really big over there huh?

Laura.Y said...

oh gosh! do be careful. there really are very nutty drivers on the road nowadays. Ur hubby got the right idea. Bigger car safer. Your sock looks wonderful.

Monica said...

Lovely sock!

We were backed into by a van for a similar reason: they driver didn't see us and changed his mind about which lane he wanted to be in. Glad you weren't hit!