Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Are you tired yet?

Of socks, I mean. If so, I'm sorry, this post would further tire you out. The enabler of this latest pair is brooklyn tweed. I was working on the Embossed Leaves Socks when I read his post on his Log Cabin Socks ... which I always think are cosy and handsome (!) and I thought the elastic cotton yarns would make a nice pair.

So, here they are:
Surprise! No short-row heels this time! One lovely feature of this pattern is the extension of the cables into the heel flaps. I think I may still be able to do that with short-row heels, but I just love having the whole heel flaps with cables:
See the World Cup class legs of mine? Genetic inheritance ... no amount of exercise can get rid of that! :D I haven't put the socked feet into shoes yet, so I am not sure if the cables would cause discomfort ... but I doubt it since my feet are not ultra-sensitive. As I haven't done heel flaps for ages, I almost forgot how to do that. I can get rid of holes at the turns with short-row heels easily, but not so with heel flaps. Yet, to be honest, no one really pays any attention to those little holes which are inside the shoes most of the time. So, I don't even bother to sew them close!

Details:
Pattern and Modifications: Log Cabin Socks by Anne Woodbury from Handknit Holidays
I used a thinner yarn. So the extra stitches went into extra ribbings between the pattern repeats. Since I like how the toes of the Embossed Leaves Socks fit, I used that on this pair too. I believe they are similar to the Pointed Toes (p.21) in Knitting Vintage Socks. Otherwise, I followed the pattern closely.

Yarn: Elann Sock It To Me Esprit Col: 8176 Ecru
I used this yarn to knit the Socktoberfest socks last year. Maybe because I knitted too tightly or because I machine washed and dried the socks, they became very stiff and hard. With this in mind, I consciously remembered not to stretch the yarn too tightly ... and maybe I won't put them into the dryer. I'll tell you how it goes later.

Gauge and Needles: The gauge should be the same as the Embossed Leaves Socks. Using US1.5, I cast on 64 stitches.

Starte date: 05-17-2006
Finish date: 05-23-2006

More happy news over the weekend. The pot of roses Husband bought me for my birthday started blooming last week. Over the weekend, at least 3 roses showed their faces ... and there are more coming:
During the winter months, I thought it was going to die. Maybe it was the winter rain that kept it going. After I changed for a larger pot, rose buds started coming out. The flowers really made a difference in the backyard!

20 comments:

hege said...

Your rose is so beautiful. I can't imagine having roses blooming already, how nice! Your log cabin socks are great. Don't worry about fitting them into shoes (or boots), they are for lounging in front of the fire, aren't they? It gets pretty cool in the evenings in CA, right?

Ruth said...

Ooh, your socks look so luxuriously soft and comfy. Great job!

marirob said...

I love those socks! I've been wanting to make them for a while, but I was waiting for winter. But making them cotton seems like a great idea. Pretty roses too!

Jennifer said...

I've been wondering if those log cabin socks could be modified to use thinner yarn. Nice job!

Rebekah said...

Great socks! I just love the cabling on the heel.

joy said...

I love this pattern, and making them in a thinner yarn is a great idea!

erin said...

Socks look real comfy. Clever idea to fit the extra stitches between the ribs, I gotta remember that. And I have ancestors with similar genes :)

Siow Chin said...

Love your mod using thinner yarn! And somehow, I think we might be related 1000 years ago, I've got those footballer calves too....

Debi said...

Nothing wrong with shapely calves Agnes!

Your roses are so beautiful, I bet they smell wonderful!

I love the socks, so elegant and so comfy! You know cotton shrinks a lot and your other socks probably got stiff cause of the dryer shrinking them down to a "bullet proof" gauge! Much like the Starmore's that are knit with Rowan Magpie Aran at a 5.5sts/inch gauge!! You could use those things for a kevlar vest!

Dipsy D. said...

Oh, don't worry - as for me, I'll never be tired of socks - seeing them, knitting them, wearing them - I'm a dedicated sock-nut! Yours are so beautiful, the cabling looks just perfect! Lovely roses too!

Leanne said...

Those look lovely, now I know what my next sock project will be!

alice said...

I have no problem with looking at multiple posts of lovely handknit socks. :) Yay for happy roses, too!

alltangledup said...

the socks are lovely ... why wear them in shoes? they look like nice comfy, sitting on the sofa in the jamies sunday socks, if you know that i mean

Jennifer said...

The socks look beautifully done, and so comfy. Wow you are fast!

Mimi said...

Your socks look so comfortable and i also like how the cables emerge from the heel flaps.
Flowers blooming under our care are always so special. Enjoy the roses!

uhoava gnu said...

Such a beautiful socks again! I love the way how the cable continues to heel flap.
The yarn you used is interesting. Is it durable? Does it feel cold? (Well..maybe not in California?)

Please, continue making socks: I really enjoy seeing pretty socks, and hearing about new patterns. I'm completely hooked in socks, too :)

Angela said...

What a great sock pattern! So interesting. Thanks for the comment on my Chinese Lace sweater, by the way; I have to agree with you that the ribbing sleeve looks better with the body.

letti said...

ooooo..very cute socks..i need some..hehe..love them during the winter months.

Kathy said...

Oh, It is one thing to be given a rose, it is another thing entirely to have one grow with you! How wonderful.

The socks are great. Perfect for clogs eh? The bulky cabled back will be adored.

I hope I never tire of socks

Sheryl said...

I NEVER get tired of socks and these are beautiful. I love that pattern in a thinner yarn.