Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Rainy Day Blues

This morning when I was woken up by the alarm clock, I heard the sound of heavy rain. Though the rain was not exactly surprising, some thoughts raced through my mind. I was thinking if the rain were this heavy all thorough the night, flooding would not be impossible! Flood! My next thought was that I had to get some securely flood-proof plastic boxes (are there such boxes?) to store my yarns!

There is no flood here yet. But some levees are beginning to feel the pressure of the continuous rain. Actually, two privately-owned ones near Sacramento broke this morning. Though the drainage system of the city where I live has been very effective, if the river here overflows ... or if there is any major levee break, flood is still a possibility. I didn't get the boxes immediately this afternoon ... but I would do that soon.

Luckily, there is significant stole progress to alleviate the rainy day blues. I finished the 162 rows of the first border! Are you ready for some lace loveliness?

The patterns have a very strong Japanese style ... which is unexpected to me. But I am loving this stole so far. What I need to do now is to repeat these 162 rows once on the other end of the stole. I seldom have second sock syndrome, so I don't expect I'd have second border syndrome either! :)

I was very glad that I joined Elspeth's WIP It Out at the end of March because it refreshes my awareness of my various projects in progress. I am actually starting to choose the next afghan square to knit. So, I really need to thank Elspeth for this brilliant idea. But look:
Elspeth chose one of her frogged WIPs (the blue Koigu balls) as reward and I won (thanks to her 6-year-old). Together with the frogged Koigu she also sent me a sock pattern, 2 new sock yarns, stitch markers, chocolate (yummy!) and a lovely kitty card!!!! The sky is grey outside, but I definitely feel sunshine inside my apartment! Thank you very much, Elspeth!

12 comments:

Cookie said...

The rain is starting to drive me crazy!!! There better be a lot of May flowers to make up for this craziness. Oh god, I hope it doesn't rain when we move next week. Wet yarn would suck!

Elspeth said...

Wow, how quick, I just mailed it yesterday afternoon! Happy sock knitting!

Ruth said...

ooh, i like your banner! and your lace is beautiful!! (p.s. what yarn are you using for the stole? i'm sure you mentioned it before but it must have slipped my mind) =)

and yes, some levees broke up here, causing some flooding. right now the levees near my neighborhood are ok (fingers crossed), since my neighborhood is pretty much a big basin/bowl! =O

Debi said...

That stole gets more beautiful with every stitch!

Lucky girl, more sock yarn :)

Dipsy D. said...

We're off to flood warnings these days as well, some dams have already broken in other parts of Austria and I wonder what we'll be heading for too - but hey, I didn't think about safe storage for my yarn, thanks for reminding me!
Your stole is getting along so beautifully, you're doing great progress with it - it's already a true piece of art and I'm looking forward to seeing it in all its glory when it's finished!
Stay safe and dry, will you?

erin said...

Your stole is so intricate. Those rains sound serious, take care

alice said...

So pretty! Congratulations on the first border milestone! :)

amanda said...

I really hope you guys don't have any flooding! And your stole is sooooo lovely!

Rebekah said...

Oh it's absolutely beautiful the stole, I'll keep my fingers croseed that flooding does not happen.

Mimi said...

Seems to me that the weather worldwide has changed a lot. Rain was really rare when i was living in the bay area. Hope the rain stops soon. Take care!

SQ said...

Good luck finishing the stole!
i don't know about plastic boxes, but there are a lot of different kinds of airtight plastic bags out there.. like the kind you can vacuum the air out of. i hope everything works out!

Kathy said...

Agnes

The stole is nothing short of incredible. Absolutely lovely. Oh my. You are accomplished! Cannot wait to see it on you!