Monday, April 10, 2006

Pooling or Striping?

So, they devoted the whole first discussion of the sock club to pooling, then I guess this is a big deal. I think most knitters would be happy if the knitting all comes out in the way it did in the heels and toes:
Their main suggestion to avoid pooling is to alternate the knitting from both ends of the skein (feathering). Well well well, this is just too troublesome for me. I am not sure if what happened is pooling or striping, but my socks made me think of the stripes on tigers or tabby cats ... not too bad then! ;) But really, I prefer the thinner stripes! I would really be a lot happier if my stripes could be like this (you have to stroll down a bit to see the lovely stripes).

Details:
Pattern and Modification: Cedar Creek Socks designed by Kaci Kyler Hays for Rockin' Sock Club of BMFA
I love it when the designers talk a little about the inspirations for their creations. The inspiration for this design was the lovely creek and the cedar trees and rainforest jasper rocks along the road to Blue Moon Fiber Arts in Oregon. I've never been there and have very little first hand knowledge of the trees and rocks, but Google image search always helps! ;) (I had problems linking to the search results, so you would have to do the search yourself!)
I read from the unofficial blog of the sock club that some people found the socks produced by the pattern to be unstretchy ... but I found the opposite true to me. I have yet to decide whether it was because the yarn was bouncy or the pattern. I just did the usual change to short row heels, otherwise, I followed the pattern, including the picot edge which I found to be cute and beautiful, though a bit more trouble to make especially for the first time.

Yarn: Socks That Rock (Light Weight) by Blue Moon Fiber Arts Col: Rainforest Jasper (100% Superwash Merino)
I intended to buy some of this widely raved sock yarn in Stitches West. However, all the light weight yarns were raided long before I arrived and I didn't want to have the heavier weight. So, I was really excited to receive the first sock club kit. Definitely lovely yarn and I am sure you must have read quite a lot about it already. I like the lovely sheen of the yarn ... and wonder how they did that! Another feature that I like is the bouncy nature of the yarn. For someone who finds Lion Brand Magic Stripes soft enough, STR is of course soft as butter. Yet, there is something not too satisfactory to me ... I expected the light weight to be really fingering weight, like Lorna's Lace Shepherd Sock, but the light weight STR is much thicker to me.

Gauge and Needle: 8.5sts per inch with US1
Start date: 03-26-2006
Finish date: 04-08-2006

15 comments:

Dipsy D. said...

Wow, I love these socks! You're right, they also remind me of tigers or something exotic - the pattern and the yarn you chose go along so great together!
Like you, I always love reading how ideas and inspirations for patterns came along, so I'll be heading on over to Google now for having a search for cedar trees and rainforest jasper rocks - sounds amazing!

Debi said...

I'm not a big fan of brown but these socks are lovely. I love the pooling!

So what happened on Saturday? Did you get the file?

Rebekah said...

I love pooling on socks, it makes me happy. I actually get disappointed when my socks don't pool.

Laura said...

That's the same yarn? I can't believe it!

I like your socks better. I think pooling gives socks character and I love how the pooling work on these socks.

twig said...

That is a very interesting effect. I like it a lot. Pshaw on the pooling haters.

Jennifer said...

The socks came out great!

Cookie said...

Oooh, love it! For me there's a fine line between pooling and striping. I really dislike pooling when it happens in non-striping clumps. Or if it stripes vertically. Yours though, looks pretty darn neat. Congrats on the FO!

Siow Chin said...

Pooling drives me crazy. Your socks do remind me of a very cute tabby though :D)

erin said...

Pooling gives me a headache and it's amazing that the other sock is from the same yarn.

candsmom said...

Your socks look wonderful!! I think the pooling looks really neat, especially since it's on a diagonal line. That brown and turquoise combination is just lovely, too! I have yet to try STR, but I love looking at (and drooling over ;-)) everyone else's STR socks. Fantastic job! Take care, Agnes! :-)

Elspeth said...

They look great! I can't believe you got them done so quickly!

I love the idea (and you know I'm already down on this yarn) that it is up to you to avoid pooling, not the yarn. Oh well. At least pooling works well with this colorway ;)

amanda said...

Your socks are beautiful! I can't wait to co for mine.

I know what you mean about the pooling. I would prefer the smaller stripes but the process of switching the yarn around and all is such a pain. That and the fact that I knit two at a time the switching would really annoy me.

Jason said...

Those socks look nice on your feet!

What is the sock club? There's no details on Blue Moon's website other than a congrat and an email for waiting list.

claudia said...

I am not so keen on the pooling myself. I'm sure it has to do with the way the sock is dyed, but I'm pretty ignorant on handpainting techniques so I can't say more than that.

Mimi said...

That's a cute pair of socks! I like the combined color of turquoise and brown and the pattern that was formed.