Wednesday, April 12, 2006

I have good news ... and a problem!

The good news is that I finished the second border! I did several rounds of bunny happy dance around the apartment on Monday when I finished. :D I encountered all kinds of problems when working on the first border, and ripping back several rows was a frequent happening. However, things went so smoothly in the second border that I found it a bit surreal! I didn't even have to rip one whole row!

Now, the problem. First of all, I haven't done any lace shawl edging before. Then, reading through the instructions, I thought I wanted to work a knitted-on shaped edging. These are the instructions: "With dpn, invisibly cast on 18 sts. Beginning by joining the edging to the open sts of the 2nd border, work starting rows a-d, then work rows 1-20 six times ... " I have read this several times and still can't figure out how to join the edging to the open sts. If I still can't figure this out, maybe I should work on a sewn-on edging then. :( I was hoping the lace series on Eunny's blog may shed some light on this ... but it seems that she has been quite busy lately. I just post the problem on the KAL blog but maybe those experienced lace knitters among you are able to show me the way too.

Sorry that there is no photo for this post ... but an unblocked lace project is not too difficult to envision. I am really eager to have this stole finished, so any help is greatly appreciated ... and I thank you all in advance!

9 comments:

alice said...

Hi, Agnes--
I don't have the pattern in front of me, but maybe you work row a and the last stitch of that row is a knit two together with the first live stitch of the border?

Laura said...

does the chart indicate how to join the edging? The lace shawl patterns that I have show where to k2tog or otherwise join the edging to the shawl.

Rebekah said...

Sorry I haven't done enough of lace to be able to help, so far I've either done sew on, or the border is knit after the main portion on the live needles. Have you tried e-mailing Wendy at wendyknits.net I know she could answer it for you.

Ruth said...

i echo alice et al... i'm working on a lace shawl too, and the instructions tell me that as i'm working on the border, every once in awhile i join the last stitch of the border to a live/open stitch on the shawl. but the instructions tell me where to join. maybe it sounds you can contact the author of the pattern to double check the details better... good luck!

Toni said...

The pattern does mention how best to join the edging to the body, tho it's a bit convoluted. I had to do the corner a couple of time before I realized what should be happening.

Debi said...

On page 42 of my copy of GOL, there are written out instructions on exactly how to join knitted on border to shawl. Plus there seems to be some errata listed here: http://www.knittinguniverse.com/books/bookscorrections/GatheringofLace/golweb.pdf

Depending on your edition, even recently purchased books are full of errata!

Hope this helps....if you still have problems, email me, I'll see what I can do!

Mimi said...

Wow, you are close to finishing your stole. Just sending good wishes... Can't help you as i have never knitted a complicated lace pattern.

candsmom said...

I can't believe how fast you knit up this stole!! You are one amazing knitter! Gosh, I have NO clue how to work the edging... I'll be checking back here on your blog and on the KAL page to see what everyone suggests. It's so awesome to see and read about your progress on this stole- it really inspires me to keep at it. Take care, Agnes! :-)

erin said...

I've done the knit on edging for the tasha tudor shawl and I had my shawl edge stitches on one needle and my edging stitches on another and the last edging stitch is joined to the shawl edge by knitting 2 stitches together, one from the shawl edge and one from the edging. You might need to pick up stitches along the shawl edge if you're already done with one end and you're now on the side right? Is there an extra last stitch on the edging that has no pattern going on for you to knit onto the shawl? I'm sure you'll figure it out, and once you've done it, you'll never want to sew on the edging again :)