Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Disaster

Monday 10:30 p.m. - I finished the last row of the edging and was ready to do the final grafting:
when I suddenly noticed something alarmingly unusual ... right at the position of the white split stitch marker in the above picture. What could that be? Close up:
A DROPPED STITCH HANGING LOOSE! When did that happen? Why didn't I notice it before? No no no ... all these were not important anymore! With a composure that frightened myself, I calmly examined the gaping hole and the dropped stitch, trying to figure out if I could fix it right there and then. Maybe it was really late and I was really tired, after 10 minutes' effort, I decided that ripping was the only way. Ripping? All those edging? All 72 pattern repeats? Even Husband asked if there was another way to solve the problem, so you can imagine how distressing the thought could be to a knitter! But I can tell you that it was not really that bad after all. Allowing myself no time for self-pity, I immediately took out the ball winder and started ripping. Frogging the Alpaca Cloud was as difficult as Kidsilk Haze because the small hairs just embraced each other extremely tight.

This morning, stitch by stitch I ripped back to the dropped stitch, then knitted back the frogged rows. Now I am back with the edging. I still don't know how and when I dropped that stitch. But I have closely examined the two sides and made sure no such thing would happened again this time.

So please excuse me for not having the mood to read through my Bloglines subscriptions these few days. I am still hoping I can finish the stole in April.

22 comments:

grumperina said...

Oh, no, Agnes!!! I can't believe that happened to your project! I'm happy to see that you've regained your composure and covered any lost ground, but that story is heartstopping!

hege said...

Oh Agnes, it's tragic, don't you hate it when that happens! Sorry for all the extra work. :( But it will come out beautiful in the end. Yes, don't blog, just knit!

Jes said...

Oh my gosh! That's awful! I have been there a couple of times, but with things that could be fixed. I have ripped back a long ways for a dropped stitch, but not on such a complicated project, but I know how painful that is.
My advice, deep breaths and more chocolate.

Ruth said...

oh no!! a lace knitter's nightmare!! i agree with the others.... BIG deep breaths, chocolate, and dive back in when you're ready. you can do it! *hugs* =)

Debi said...

Oh my goodness Hunny!!! Thank god you were calm and steady and able to fix this fiasco with minimal horror!!I'm so glad you've regained you place and can move forward! Eat lots of dark chocolate!

Elspeth said...

I am so sorry to hear that! I'm really not looking forward to doing serious lace knitting now!

alice said...

Oh, you poor thing! Many condolences for the edging mishap. I'm sure it will be even more beautiful the second time around, even though I'm also sure that's no consolation....

Jason said...

Wow! Sorry to hear that you had to go through that heart-stopping mishap. Glad that you recovered. I recently decided to give lace knitting a try. Ordered two patterns and a book. Your story scares me a little. LOL

You probably posted this, but can you tell me why you chose Alpaca Cloud?

caitlyn said...

Oh nooooooo!! I am SO sorry to hear this, Agnes! I do hope that your second attempt will go well.

janine said...

You're a better woman than me I would have fudged it somehow :-)

Rebekah said...

Ohhh I'm so sorry for your loss! that really is tragic. The good news is your really getting your knitting money's worth on the Alpaca cloud, not that it wasn't a steal at the price they sell it for anyway.

twig said...

Oh my! I'm not sure I could have frogged that much without having a meltdown.

Bron said...

I would've cried - seriously. You're SO brave!

Melissa said...

Oh, you poor thing :( And you're such a better woman than me! I never frog back. I fudge. I call myself the queen of the fudging :) Such patience you have to redo all that border. Anxiously awaiting the finished product!

Jen said...

Oh that is so painful just reading about it! I applaud your astounding perseverance! It'll all be worth it in the end right? :)

Laura said...

oh oh oh! Good luck (if you haven't fixed it already). And congratulations on having the courage to rip it out to fix it. I'm sure I couldn't have done it. I would found some weird way of anchoring the stitch and calling it done.

lori said...

wow! I think my heart stopped a little when I realized what I was looking at! good for you for having the courage to rip! I hope you can find that knitting thing where you mess with time and get more done in less time than you should be able to.

Lisa said...

Oh my God. So glad it worked out for you - I'm sure you are more relieved, but hey we all feel your pain.

joy said...

I'm so sorry to hear that you had to rip out so much and reknit it. Hopefully the second time was easier than the first?

Siow Chin said...

Oh dear! Knit on, Agnes!

amanda said...

Heartbreak! At least you caught it, repaired it and can knit on. Be brave!

Mimi said...

Oh poor Agnes! Hope the rest of the stole goes easily. I know it can be very stressing to keep reknitting it.You'll get there the stole is so beautiful...