Thursday, March 02, 2006

Tides of Time

Two or three years ago, Husband and I went on a two-day white water rafting trip. You know, I am a thoroughly city person who is more familiar with car honks than the chirping of crickets, so it was quite an adventure to me. At first glance, the river seemed to be a harmless peace. But the meandering twists and turns can turn it into a wild horse. I remember at one of the more rough rapids, we were thrown into the water. Luckily, we were able to hold on to the raft before reaching the more peaceful flow and climbing back onto it. When I was being carried by the water, everything around me became blurred and unfocused, we passes other rafts, there might be people on the river side resting, but all these passed so quickly that they just seemed like ghost shadows ... I put all my attention to my grip on the raft ... honestly, it was scary.

There is a Chinese expression that can be roughly translated as "tides of time". I know it all my life. Yesterday, when I realized it was the first day of March, for a very brief moment, that scary feeling being drifted away in the river suddenly rose in me. It was then I seemed to fully understand the power of the expression ... tides of time!

It is just natural that we all hold on to something important and dear to us ... Memorabilia, photos and videos of special occasions and moments of our lives always help us to have a better grasp of time past and bring back fond memories. Perhaps this is also why I am always more interested in the projects more than the yarn stash ... both in my own blog and other knitters'. To me, it is much more meaningful to mark the time with a finished project than with the purchase of yarns.

Perhaps this is also the reason for my decision to give up one of the projects on needle. Having spent a reasonable amount of time on it and still not feeling a bond with it, I think it is time to say goodbye to the Mystery Shawl. I have tried ... but time is precious. Just like a relationship that won't work, spending more time on it would just make the parties concerned to hate each other. So, Mystery Shawl no more! In her place now is Sampler Stole from A Gathering of Lace. This is going to be a great challenge - thin yarn, small needles ... would the result be as beautiful as this? We have to wait and see.

Meanwhile, I think I should have ample time for another pair of socks before I return to taking care of my sock pal. So, I grabbed a ball of yarn from my stash and started this:

Okay, I should know that no pattern is really needed for self-striping yarn, but just couldn't help trying to knit something other than boring stocking stitch or ribbing. I learned, I learned ... so ribbing it should be:

So much better! And it goes fast too! When looking at the yarn ball, I somehow missed the brown/beige colour ... though not very fond of that, the striping isn't too bad when knitted and the colours come together quite well ... but still, I would love it more without the brown/beige. Oh, in case you wonder, this is Lion Brand Magic Stripes Regatta Blue Stripe. I know the yarn snobs among you would start to frown ... Lion Brand? But let me tell you ... I love Lion Brand, yay! ::laugh::

16 comments:

candsmom said...

I love Lion Brand, too! Very affordable and nice and soft after a good wash. I'm so glad you joined the Sampler Stole KAL! We're using the same yarn (Alpaca Cloud) but I was wondering- what size needles will you be using? Do you think 4 would be too big with the laceweight? The stole seems to be more knitted and dense than "loose and airy" so I'm unsure if US4 is too large. I feel much the same way about stash vs. projects- I'd much rather see projects progressing! Take care, Agnes! :-)

Rebekah said...

Nice post. And on the LIon Brand yarn, I think all yarn has it's place. If it weren't for the large manufacturers some people may never be able to afford to knit.

twig said...

I know what you mean about the relationship going bad. I find myself doing that a lot with socks. For every 10 socks I start, I decide to frog about 7 of them.

I, too, like Magic Stripes. It's really affordable and knits up well. I just wish they had more of the subdued colors. Around here mostly you can only buy the "loud" stripes.

Lynette said...

Hmm, quite a thought-provoking post. You tied it all in quite nicely. I tend to see my knitting and knitting projects happening in a blur, all jumbled together except for a few defining items that mark milestones. My perspective on life is the same way. I kind of go from epiphany to epiphany.

You and your socks. Wow. You can probably knit a pair in the time it takes me to blog.

Mimi said...

You are right, Agnes. Better halt a project you don't enjoy much. Take a little break and you will be inspired for something that makes you happier. The new shawl you plan to knit is so beautiful.

katie said...

Lion Brand sock yarn is fun stuff. I've got some socks in their JellyBean colorway, they're comfy and they're wearing well. And socks are always a good way to take a deep-knitting-breath between projects.

Debi said...

Yup, as they say, you gotta know when to hold em, know when to fold em....I believe it shows maturity as a knitter to know when something isn't working, cut your losses and find something that makes your creative heart sing!

I know you'll make a beautiful sampler stole, ALL your knitting is lovely!

And I confess I am a yarn snob but those are some pretty socks even with the beige!

Siow Chin said...

Self striping works well with stitch patterns that are chevron or scallop or feather and fan type too. Since you're already so far down, maybe the next pair?

erin said...

Letting go of a project can sometimes be so liberating :) and the best thing is that who knows? you may re-visit it at some later time when it becomes more right or fits in with your knitting mood.

Becky said...

Let go, guilt free! I always drop projects in which I lose interest to knit.

hege said...

Good luck with the Sampler Stole. I am sure it will be gorgeous. And Birch in a two toned yarn will be excellent. I think the two tones I am using maybe will not show up as well, so I will be very excited to see yours! You should start soon! I am starting to think knitting lace is addictive! Or maybe it's just shawls, no shaping, not a lot of yarn, just a lot of satisfaction!
:)

claudia said...

Sounds to me like everything is going knittingly over here just as it should.

;-)

Cutie said...

hiya, this is my first time at your blog, and I really enjoyed it... I am adding you to my blogroll, I hope you don't mind!

Have a great day :)

Emms

Sheryl said...

Being the sock knitting fanatic (w/0 time to knit socks!) I have been tempted to do what you did. I will learn vicariously through you and keep it simple with self striping yarns. I like Lion Brand too. They are really expanding their line to keep up with the trends in the yarn industry. We won't carry Lion Brand at Yarntopia, but I have nothing against it. I agree with your comments on the Rowan book. I have a little Chinese mixed in with my Irish/Scottish/German heritage and I am quite proud of it.

Casey said...

I have 2 projects that I'm gioving up on. It's not worth knitting something you don't love and the earlier you realize that, the better! Your sock looks great! I love self-striping yarn but haven't found any that I like. I didn't know Lion Brand made some. I really want to dye my own, though.

Mothlady said...

Kudos to you for letting go of a project that doesn't feel right. I still haven't given up hope on MS2 =)