Monday, March 13, 2006

Sockapal3za: Fancy Silk Socks

If you don't want to pass out from the intense cable knitting of Must Have Cardigan, what are you to do? Some lace sock knitting, of course.

After a detour of 2 finished pairs of socks, it's about time I returned to the socks for my sock pal. Originally I planned on doing this AFTER I finished Must Have. Obviously I underestimated the power of sleeve island. Really, I do want to know if this power is indeed that strong, or it is just a psychological thing? Anyway, I was only able to finish the increase on the first sleeve and there were still a few inches to go before the sleeve cap on Saturday. This was really slow considering the fact that I finished the left front within a day last weekend. But I just felt that I had had enough of the pattern ... so I did something else other than knitting. Then on Sunday, I casted on for the second Sockapal3za sock ... and now the finished pair are blocking on the towel:

Aren't they pretty?

Details:
Pattern: Fancy Silk Socks by Nancy Bush from Knitting Vintage Socks
This is a lovely pattern. It is really easy to remember but produces a very pretty lace pattern. Once you click with the pattern, you just can't stop knitting. Here is a close-up of the scallop cuff:

It is quite a nice change from ribbing cuff ... but not as neat. Even though pretty to look at, it had a difficult time staying flat. (But it got better after being washed.)

Modifications:
1) To get the size right for my sock pal, I casted on 72 stitches instead of 64.
2) On the last pattern repeat before turning heel, I did stocking stitches on the heel stitches:

I learned this from Priscilla A. Gibson-Roberts's Simple Socks: Plain and Fancy, in which she called these "ankle rows". I think in this way, the socks look more normal in that the lace doesn't seem to get into the shoes when you wear them.
3) Short-row heels and flat toes.

Yarn: Lorna's Lace Shepherd Sock Col: 11ns Bold Red
I love this yarn ... soft, bouncy, lovely to work with. The colour is just delicious. As I said before, I think the pattern goes even better with this red than the purple in the book ... fancy lace plus bold colour = winner!

Needles: US1

Start date: 02-12-2006
Finish date: 03-13-2006

Now I just need to wait for Sock Mom's instructions.

23 comments:

Dipsy D. said...

Your Fancy Silk Socks have turned out so beautiful, what a great color as well! Good luck with the "power of sleeve island" :) - I'm sure you'll be done in an instant!

Mimi said...

Great pattern for your silk socks. I like the border,it's very unique!
Hope you have an easy knit with the sleeve. I am also working hard on my sleeves...:)

Erin said...

wow!! those are beautiful! your sock pal will love them! Now I'm going to have to dig out that book...

amanda said...

Those are so beautiful! I MUST knit that pattern! Your lucky sock pal is going to be so happy with her socks :O)

Courtney said...

Those socks look great. I've been struggling with that pattern myself. When you cast on 72 stitches instead of 64, did you make any other alterations, or did the lace pattern just work? I'm still a bit of a scaredy cat when it comes to resizing more complicated patterns.

Linz said...

Oooh, they're beautiful!
Congrats on finishing!!!

Jen said...

I might have to get that book, lovely pattern. Beautiful job, they look so nicely shaped.

lexa said...

Very, very pretty!

twig said...

Love your socks. I'm sure your pal will love it.

caitlyn said...

They're gorgeous, Agnes!! What a lovely gift for your Sock pal!!

claudia said...

Pretty. Your sock pal is sure to love them.

Jen said...

Congratulations on finishing your socks! They look fabulous... I'll have to try them...

candsmom said...

Your socks are gorgeous!! I love the way the lace looks in that pretty Lorna's Laces red color. You're so right about the color and the pattern- I like it much better than the one in the book! Yours makes me want to knit this pattern now. Beautiful job! Your sock pal is one lucky girl. ;-) Take care, Agnes! :-)

Rebekah said...

What pretty socks and such a great color!

Debi said...

Lucky sock pal! She will definately go SQUEE when she sees these beautiful socks Agnes!

Toni said...

They certainly are pretty!

Jen said...

Very pretty! I'll have to go look up "ankle rows" in "Simple Socks." Aren't Nancy Bush's patterns just the best?

quiltyknitwit said...

You make so many things - and they all turn out so nicely!

erin said...

oh you're done, well ahead of schedule and such a pretty lacey pattern.

Ruth said...

Just lovely! Your sock pal is going to love them.

Elspeth said...

I love those socks! Great lace and of course red! I can't believe you finished one in, what, 2 days? I make shorter socks and they take me weeks!

Casey said...

Great socks! I with I were your sock pal! :)

Jeanne said...

Beautiful socks - I really need to buy that book!