Thursday, March 30, 2006

Oops ... distracted!

Yesterday, I read Grumperina's post and click on an earlier post of hers linked with that post. In that earlier post, she mentioned Azalea from First Book of Modern Lace Knitting. I didn't have the book when I first read that post and so had no idea what she was talking about. But yesterday, I happened to have the library copy with me ... so I checked ... and thus got distracted.

What she said was right, the stitches of Azalea can become boring ... however, it is just beautiful! I happened (again) to have some crochet cotton with me. So, I started making a glass mat:


It is an easy and fun project. It was done now ... waiting for the final finishing:


I have yet to read how to stretch the crocheted chains and then block it into a glass mat. But knitting with tiny thread and wire like needles can be fun. I used the smallest sized (US000) needles from the Susan Bates Silvalume set. The needles are not very sturdy and all are in strange shape now. What I need to do next is to look for some better needles.

This morning, Rebekah of Knit Knack proposed a yarn diet game. I joined. :) To participate, you need to have self control, to be honest, and to contribute to the gold pot for the prizes. But you can also win some goodies at the end. So, if you are interested (come on, we all know we have a problem, right?) go here and send her a comment or email.

Now, I think I need to return to my Cedar Creek socks. The first sock was done, I just need to cast on for the second sock.

11 comments:

grumperina said...

Beautiful! Want to finish mine? :).

Toni said...

It's so cute! To block out the crochet loops, you need to pin each one into a point (so just a pin at the top). Yes, tiresome but at least it's a small piece!

Lavender said...

That is really beautiful! You should check out Patternworks. I bought 00000 needles from them for lace knitting. They were pretty sturdy and I haven't bent them yet.

Mimi said...

It's beautiful! Amazing work on such thin needles.

Dipsy D. said...

This is so beautiful! I don't know if I wouldn't have the courage yet to try my luck with such thin needles - but it looks so gorgeous!
I'm afraid that yarn diet game you mentioned won't be something for me - I guess I'm honest, but when it comes to having self control... oyyy!!! :(

emy said...

I love how it looks!

Jerry said...

OMG that is gorgeous...that and the sampler stole. You've reminded me of a Queen Anne's lace tablecloth I started to crochet in the early 80's. YIKES!

Great work!!!

Lynette said...

How beautiful and delicate! They remind me of snowflakes.

Rebekah said...

I knitted one of those ages ago, it's stuck in a wad in my closet. I forgot how pretty it was, maybe I'll wash and pin it this weekend. It'd look nice on my piano.

Thanks for mentioning my game! I think it's going to be fun. So far there are 11 participants.

alice said...

Such a lovely pattern--can't wait to see what it looks like when it's all blocked out. :) And your sampler stole is gorgeous....

Debi said...

This is soooo lovely Agnes! Judy at theknitter.com had the 00, 000, and 0000 steel needles by either Addi or Inox and shipping is free!