Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Moving into the fun part

The progress on the Sampler Stole has been satisfactory. I finished the central panel during the weekend. The final decision was to just knit 6 pattern repeats because I was starting to feel bored by the 14-sts pattern. Not that there was anything new, but since I wanted to get the measurements, so why not take a picture with the stole stretched out?


Pretty, huh? But wait until I finish the borders! I've seen Melissa's and Eunny's borders and they are really lovely! The patterns on the borders are much more exciting - 32-sts repeat and all 169 rows are different! I am up to row 40 of the first border and the pattern is starting to show ... maybe I can give you a sneak peek:


You may have read this a zillion times, but I have to tell you that it's really true - lace knitting is ADDICTIVE! I have already decided to start Birch once the Sampler Stole is done ... Birch! ::sigh::

To end today's post, I'd like to show you a picture of my handknit socks collection ... which is still a very meager one. Yesterday was laundry day and here they are (all except 2 pairs) drying on the rack:

One observation of the LB Magic Stripes yarns ... the socks soften more with every wash. The first pair (the green and blue stripes) are significantly softer than the Jelly Bean Stripes. The orange pair were made from KnitPicks Dancing ... and I don't like them too much. If you want cotton elastic socks, use Cascade Fixation instead of Dancing ... a lot more comfortable.

19 comments:

Ruth said...

gorgeous!!!!

Rebekah said...

The sampler stole is beautiful. Can't wait to see more.

lori said...

The stole is so beautiful! I love the sock display too...

erin said...

The sampler stole is just stunning.

Mimi said...

That is a fast progress and it looks so beautiful already! I think i want to try knitting shawls and stoles.

Lynette said...

Beautiful! Really, Agnes, you are so skilled.

Debi said...

That stole is breathtaking! Can't wait to see in modelled!

I love seeing all your socks drying on the rack! I'm working on #5 for March myself but I don't think I'll finish before April! (and I haven't been showing them on the blog cause they are a gift and I'm gonna offer the free pattern once the gift is given!)

candsmom said...

You've made such amazing progress on your stole!! I'm barely past 2 repeats on the central panel... the going's been slow, but I'm hoping I'll get into a groove soon so that it'll go faster. Your border is looking so gorgeous, too! I love your hand-knit sock collection! That's good info to know about the LB Magic Stripes yarn- I'll be looking into ordering some now. Take care, Agnes! :-)

Dipsy D. said...

I agree, lace knitting is certainly very addictive! It's great when you reach the point where you don't have to look up the pattern at the cheat sheet but can memorize it, and yet it still asks for a lot of concentration - perfect knitting indeed!
I love the way your stole turns out, it's already such a beauty!

Siow Chin said...

The lace is impressive! And I love your sock collection.

Melissa said...

Your stole is coming along so nicely! And I definitely think you should make Birch. It is a million, zillion times easier than the Sampler Stole! Totally mindless lace knitting. I've made two :)

amanda said...

I have stole envy! It is lovely =)

Casey said...

Your stole is lovely! I am much more of a stole wearer than a shawl girl so it's nice to see such a lovely pattern. Unfortunately, I didn't get my act together in time to join the knit along. Too many things to knit, too little time.
I love all your socks! I have knit 3 pairs but only 1 for myself. They're very lonely in my drawer!

Heather said...

gasp...LOVE THE STOLE...now I must work furiously on birch...I want a lacey thing for myself!

beautiful.

socks...socks...all I wanna do!

:) lucky! I want to try the fixation...that is next for me it's sproingy!

Laura.Y said...

oh wow, love the stole pattern!

alltangledup said...

The lacework is gorgeous... can't wait to see the rest of it.

Intersting observations on the Magic strips... and the knitpicks cotton. I rather fancy the knitpick colours but was a wee bit concerned about softness. thanks for the observations.. this is what I live best about blogs, learning about how other people think about differnt yarns.

fig said...

The stole is breathtaking, and you make me wanna jump on the jellybean LB I have. I think I'll learn I-cord gloves with it, though. Sometime in the future,however, because there are too many things OTN now!

jacqueline said...

oh wow! it is looking stunning.

hege said...

The stole is so beautiful! Can't wait to see the rest! And I am very impressed with your collection of socks. It seems like a huge collection to me.