Monday, March 06, 2006

Lousy weather plus a busy husband

That would give you lots of knitting time! If you expect to see a finished PAIR of socks today, sorry, I just began to turn heel on the second sock. I spent all my energy knitting crazily on Must Have Cardigan:

Back and left front done! After working on 113 stitches on the back, the 59 stitches of the front seemed so easy! I expect to land on sleeve island very soon.

I worked with frenzy on this wool cardigan because if I can finish it within this month, I may still get some use of it before the warm weather comes. And more importantly, I am dying to start a new project ... a spring/summer project ... using this:

This denim yarn has been in my stash since the time I first knew about Elann. If I keep a yarn in the stash for too long, I would start feeling annoyed ... since it feels like I have made an unjustified purchase. Actually I did have plan for it when I bought it ... Mary from Rowan Denim:

This was the version I liked when I first got the book. However, when I browsed through the book again last week, I found that I like this version better:

Believe it or not, these two jackets are of the same pattern with the only difference being the collar shapes. Yet, the V-neck Mary seems so much more figure flattering ... I start to suspect the presence of safety pins on her back! One problem with this pattern is that there is only one size ... a finished measurement of 46" after wash! Does she (the model) look like she would need a 46" jacket? I would have to read through the pattern and reduce the number of pattern repeats.

So, in order to start this project, I require myself to finish Must Have Cardigan. I certainly hope I won't get burned out after the intense knitting this past weekend. :)

17 comments:

Jen said...

Wow, the cable definition on the cardigan is fantastic! I know just how you feel with stash yarn, I'm itching to cast on so many things.

Dipsy D. said...

Gosh, your Must-Have-Cardigan is already so amazing, such beautiful cabling you're doing - envy, envy! Can't wait to see the photo of the finished Cardigan!
And as for the jacket you're going to knit, I absolutely agree with you, #2 looks even better than the first one, the V-neck looks more elegant and - yes, flattering!

claudia said...

Definitely a pin in the back. There is no way that is the same sweater without photo styling.

Rebekah said...

The two pictures look completely different. And 46 on that model, no way, but I love the jacket, it's quite pretty.

erin said...

the 2nd mary cardi is much nicer, but you are right about the size. 46 inches? unbelieveable.

joy said...

At this rate, you'll be finished with the 'must have' in no time! You're so good with finishing before starting something new.
The second denim cardi does look better with that collar...sexier? :)

Siow Chin said...

Definitely the second one with the flatteringly neckline.

candsmom said...

Must Have is looking wonderful! The stitch definition is incredible and I love that happy color. I much prefer the second version of Mary, too... the neckline seems much more flattering. But you're right, 46" seems quite large! Best wishes with sleeve island- I finally made it off sleeve island with my ribby cardi, so I feel for you! Knowing you, you'll be done in no time! Take care, Agnes! :-)

Lynette said...

Must Have Cardi is truly must have! Looking great. I am a big fan of v-necks because they elongate one's neck and just plain look sexy.

Ruth said...

another vote for the v-neck - i'm a big fan of those too, and it just looks so nice. =) lots of knitting to do this weekend? can't wait to see pics =)

Debi said...

That Must Have is glorious! You are the tazmanian devil knitter!

emy said...

I have to agree that sometimes just one feature change makes a whole lot of difference to the overall look!

Mimi said...

Pretty cables on your first cardi! Yes, the second one is nicer and i think it has a better fit too. Maybe you could add a waistline to the second design.

knit chick said...

The Must Have Cardigan is going to look absolutely wonderful. I can't wait to see the finished project!

Karen said...

Wow Agnes...it has been a while and while I was gne you have certainly knit up a storm. All your creations are beautiful and I love the second cardigan as well! Ill be back friend!

hege said...

The Must Have cardigan is awesome, what yarn did you use for it? For the denim cardigan, the V-neck is definitely easier to wear. I have this book, too, and I looked at the picture there. There is something fishy going on, because the first jacket ends much lower on her hips than the v-neck. And the chevron pattern ends much lower and closer to her waist. I would check measurements very carefully. Safety pins at her back seems likely!

alltangledup said...

ok, the first jacket is not washed and hasn't shrunk. The second one has been been shrunk. Here is the errata from Rowan http://www.knitrowan.com/html/pattern_revisions.asp

and the second version has been pinned. Guarantee it