Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Just in time!

There are cold temperatures in the weather forecast here:

(Ahem ... just to remind you that I live in California ... where people feel cold easily! hahaha ...) This is why I have been working on my Magic Stripes Socks like "a tazmanian devil knitter", to quote Debi. Now I have new socks for the coming cold front.


Details:
Pattern: 3k1p ribbing basic sock pattern with 64 sts cast on
Yarn: Lion Brand Magic Stripes Col: 207 Regatta Blue Stripe (75% wool, 25% nylon)
The yarn doesn't have as much elasticity as you would expect from a wool sock yarn. It feels more like cotton blend on the hand. I hope this isn't going to affect the lifespan of the socks. However, I am sure about the 75% wool content because the socks are very warm and comfortable. The socks in the picture were pre-wash. After taking the picture, I washed them in tepid warm water and the colours, mainly the blues, bled a bit.
This is my first time knitting with self-striping yarn ... and I love it. Even without a complicated pattern, the knitting has been fun. I just felt I couldn't stop knitting in order to see how the stripes turn out ... or if the patterning would be identical with the first sock. As you can see from the picture, there are differences in the heels and the toes. Erin asked how I determined the exact position of the yarn to start the second sock. Well, just take a look at this:

That between the two arrows is one pattern repeat. So, I just have to find where the beginning of the pattern is, in my case, the beginning of the 3 white stripes, and start there. Trying to have an identical pair is just part of the fun in using self-striping yarns. I am not a fanatic in this aspect, so even if the 2 socks are not the same, I won't be bothered. But if you want to learn more on how to make a matching pair, read Sockapal3za Sock Mom Alison's post, she is amazing!

Gauge and Needles: 8 sts per inch, US1.5

Before I wish you a wonderful mid-week, I'd like to show you this:

Please don't think that I enjoy torturing you with boring pictures. I just want to recruit your help in motivating me to knit the 8.5-stitch sweater. Two weeks ago when I showed you the progress, it was 5". Now it is almost 8.5" ... only half an inch shy of my 2" a week target. I hope next time this appears again, it would be the start of armhole shaping.

16 comments:

twig said...

*snicker* Our high on Saturday is supposed to be about 54 and we're all jumping for joy about the warm weather that's coming.

Ruth said...

we're headed to monterey this afternoon to stay for the rest of the week and weekend... we checked the weather reports and you're right... it's NOT going to be warm at all! bringing lots of socks with me (and a list of yarn stores in the monterey area) ;)

candsmom said...

Your socks look wonderful! Thanks for the link on how to match up self-striping yarn. I'm not a fanatic either, but I could use some help in that department. ;-) I always wind up with REALLY fraternal twins! And those temperatures look really cold to me! Anything below 75 and I start to take out my sweaters and socks! Take care, Agnes! :-)

Monica said...

I didn't think I'd get so cold so easily since I just moved here in October. But I've been wearing hats and jackets at night!

Siow Chin said...

The weather is really strange this year in this part too. There's going to be a cold snap this Sunday and the temperature is going to fall to 11-14C from the current 19-23C.

erin said...

Thanks Agnes for sharing the info. Brilliant method and makes complete sense, but you know, I wouldn't have thought of it! I have some self striping sock yarn in the stash, so this will be most useful when I get to knit it. And "chia-yu" (literally add oil) on the hubby knitting.

Jerry said...

The socks look great! I like how the heel turned out, almost like a mirror effect, that's cool! Is that dark sweater knit in the round?

Jacqui in Australia said...

Ahem! That would be a Tasmanian Devil - a heavily built aggressive marsupial with a large head, powerful jaws, and mainly black fur, found only in Tasmania. • Sarcophilus harrisii . - from the Concuse Oxford English Dictionary

Jenifer said...

Wow, I'm surprised at how much I like those socks (being Lion and all, you know what I mean). You can do it -- on to the armhole shaping!

Dipsy D. said...

Thanks so much for the tip how to match the self-striping yarn, of course I never managed to do that and thus have a bunch of mis-matched socks - but with your hint now it should work the next time!
I love your socks, by the way, the yarn is amazing!

joy said...

I do like my stripes to match, but won't rip if it's not exact. My socks are a little bit off even though I started at the same place, probably because my tension was tighter on the second sock.
You have such amazing perseverance for knitting that sweater for hubby!

Debi said...

Tazmanian Devil knitter, hehehe...

Ahem back at ya Jaqui, the Taz I refer to is a cartoon character here that runs so fast he looks like a whirling tornado and our Agnes is a knitting tornado these days, hence the Tazmanian Devil reference :)

The socks look amazing Agnes! So cozy. I love the way short row heels look in self striping yarn and to be honest I kind of like fraternal heels. My first ever socks in the sockotta you sent me have cool fraternal angles on each heel...I love that :) I'm so anal in most things but Alison has me beat by a mile, LOL!

How about you make a pact to knit 1 hour on the 8.5 sts/inch Hubster sweater every day so you don't get burned out but make steady progress?

amanda said...

Send me some of that cool weather! We're supposed to be in the low 80's this weekend. Guess the time to crank the ac down to sub-arctic temps so I can knit with wool is almost here.

Your socks look great!!!

meg said...

The socks are beautiful.

Thanks for the comment - Yeah, I reported her, but I don't know if ebay would just shut her whole shop down. I am hoping that with a little free time (hah, what's that?) I might be able to contact some of the other pattern owners currently being ripped off by this.....person.

Casey said...

Nice socks! I'w with you on the weather thing. I've been knitting my husband a scarf and was resigning myself to the fact that he wouldn't get to wear it until next fall because the weather ahs been so nice. Then this morning it was snowing!! Unusual weather for us.

Mimi said...

I guess the weather will be good for knitting! Great job on the socks, i was just wondering how the socks would turn out so identical.
I don't enjoy plain sts knitting either but it's a good break project to carry along with a more complicated one.