Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Driving on highway ... Woo!

Next month would be the 4th anniversary of my getting a driver's license here ... well, actually ever in my life. I only drive on city streets and expressways (max. speed limit 50mph) when I am driving on my own. My own experience on the highways would be when I was the designated driver on a night out, and we returned home in the wee hours when traffic was extremely light. But yesterday, I had the adventure of taking Highway 17 to go to Los Gatos.

It all started when I read this post by Mary Beth. I love that bag ... which is exactly what I need now. The carryall bag I am using now was enough for me before I started knitting. But now if I want to take even a small project with me, I need to carry it instead of stuffing it into my bag. So, I looked for a Smith & Hawken near me ... the nearest would be in Los Gatos. I went there before by taking the longer route ... but I somehow feel that I can drive good enough now to go on the highway. So, there I went ... via Highway 17!

I struggled between green and blue (there are 3 colours - green, blue and deep purple) and chose this springy green (and just discovered that MB's is also green!). This is really the perfect bag for knitters. The picture on the right is just to show you how roomy this bag is. Items inside are:
-half a ball of LB Magic Stripes
-a new skein of LB Fisherman's Wool (that's a huge skein of yarn!)
-a knitting book on lace from the library
-a paperback fiction
-my wallet
-my cell phone
-my PDA
... and other odds and ends ... and there is still LOTS of room left! And there are altogether 6 deep pockets on the sides of the bag (in one of which you can see a juice bottle). Of course, I wouldn't take so many yarns with me during the day. But now I can use this to carry my gym gears plus a small project with me ... no need for a separate gym bag.

The only shortcoming I can find so far is that there is no means to close the bag. For a careless and paranoid person like me, perhaps it would be a better idea to have something like Velcro sew-on tape ... and that's what I am going to do.

There is no knitting to show today though I haven't stopped knitting. I just finished the 4th central panel repeat of the Samper Stole last night. There are 3.5 more to go but I may stop with 2.5 more. As you can see from the picture above, I only have HALF a ball of Magic Stripes ... so another pair of socks soon. Wish you all a wonderful mid-week ... Happy Knitting!

16 comments:

Jenni said...

OH NO!!!! I have never heard of this store, but there is one in Portland!!! OH NO!!!! Must not buy! Must not buy!

Mimi said...

That's a great bag, no other one would have so many inner pockets! Can't wait to see yours with the Velco.
It's great that you drove the highway, a few more times and you will be ready for more adventures.

caitlyn said...

Great bag!! I actually first read about it sometime last year in TIME magazine (of all places), and was *really* tempted to get one. Not sure how I resisted, actually...

candsmom said...

What a fabulous knitting bag!! You know how much I love the green you chose. ;-) Can't wait to see it with the Velcro closure- I feel the same way; I'm always paranoid about things falling out of my bags. Especially knitting things! I just got my license 2 years ago, so I can really relate to the fear of taking roads and highways you're not familiar with. Looking forward to seeing your beautiful stole... I'll be casting on tomorrow! Take care, Agnes! :-)

Ruth said...

wow!!! that bag is fabulous! my weakness is knitting bags (i already have a bunch) but this looks so nice!

as for hwy 17.. i've never liked that hwy. especially the 880 part where it gets narrow. =P

joy said...

hehe, I'm not much of a driver, but I'd brave a highway for a bag too! The green is very pretty and sharp. I like my bags to close too...not so much worried about things falling out as unwanted hands dipping in, especially in places like Mongkok! ;)

Mary Beth said...

How fun to see yours in use! I had trouble choosing but haven't regretted getting the spring green. I thought it might be nice with a zipper, but I just keep my projects in a plastic bag inside anyway, so it's no big deal.

Lisa said...

I LOVE that bag. I wish that store was up here in Canada. Oh well.

Suzanne said...

Yeah...road trips are great, especially when it's for knitting supplies! I'm going to go check them out as well. You'll have to let me know how the velcro goes because I would need to shut mine to keep the kitties out.

quiltyknitwit said...

Now you will be more adventurous with driving because you can reward yourself at the end! I love tote bags too, and have tons from the post office, library, etc.

Dipsy D. said...

Wow, that bag is absolutely amazing, no wonder that you've been heading into all that driving just to get it! Great thing indeed!

Debi said...

Love, love, love the bag, especially in the green..so cheery!

I've had my driver's license for 20+ years and I'm still scared to drive on some highways so Brava Agnes....the things we have to do for a great knitting bag :)

Pumpkins sends purrs and chirps to his favorite Auntie! xxx

twig said...

Great bag and well worth a trip on the highway for!

Melissa said...

Well you sure made that look appealing! One is on its way to me as I type. I had to fork over $8 for shipping, as there are no Smith & Hawken stores anywhere near me. But from the looks of yours, it's going to be well worth it!

hege said...

Hi Agnes, excellent bag! I LOVE Smith and Hawken, they have the most beautiful stores! I flipped through a catalog from them, and I did find the bag there, so for those who don't have a store nearby, the item number is G861286 (blue) or G861278 (pistachio). No purple, though! I think I also need a new knitting bag, hmmm.... :)

KarenK said...

What a great bag! Now I'm going to have to plan a visit to Smith & Hawken when we visit Portland this Sunday. One thing made me say "Ow!" when I read your entry, though -- I always avoid using knitting bags that have Velcro closures because yarn strands catch and snag on the Velcro hooks! Very annoying, and can also damage fine yarns.... so I would recommend finding another closing solution than Velcro. Perhaps an outside loop and button? or an inside snap? I'm just sayin' is all...