Tuesday, February 14, 2006

A piece of knitting history

When I first got Nancy Bush's latest sock book, I already told you I love that little knitting needle gauge. Don't remember? Read here ... (giving you 1 minute to refresh your memory) ... now, lookee:

I am literally holding a piece of knitting history in my hand! Can't really tell you in words how excited and happy I am!

Some time ago, I read on someone's blog (can't remember who that was!) that she got one from eBay. EBay! Why didn't I think of that earlier? I did some searches and was really able to locate some auctions ... the sellers were mostly from UK. You can see from the photo that the chrome has come off a bit here and there. But I noticed that those that are shiny almost like new would got more and higher bids ... sometimes so high that I thought was beyond reason. I am not really using the gauge ... and the scratches seem to give the gauge a greater sense of being a historical item, so I went for this one.

Since it is still Valentine's Day, I'll send you all a Valentine that almost all knitters would love ... for those of you who are allergic to it, well, you won't get hurt looking at this cute face.

7 comments:

twig said...

Oh how neat! Congrats for finding it and being the winning bid!

Mimi said...

Oh yes, i remember about this gauge measurer. It's an adorable toy for us, knitters. :) I am so excited that you got one in your hands. It's a wonderful treasure! Enjoy it!

Debi said...

Very cool knitting doo dad...do the holes meausre up to todays needles?

Liz said...

What a lovely piece! And that face!! So precious! :)

Melissa said...

It's wonderful you were able to win it. With my luck I would loose it as soon as it got to me if I had gotten something I wanted so much.

candsmom said...

How neat! I'm so glad that you were able to win it on Ebay. And I totally agree with you about the historic sense that comes with the slightly weathered look. Such a wonderful addition to your knitting collection! And those alpacas are too cute. ;-) Take care! :-)

Lynette said...

That is a little piece of cool. Are you going to use it or frame it?

I wonder what knitting gadgets will be up for sale on Ebay as "vintage" 50 years from now....