Monday, February 06, 2006

Monday ranting

Are you citizens of the Super Bowl Nation? We are not ... so yesterday, we took the chance to have a drive in the mountains since the weather was incredibly gorgeous ... so much that I had a moment's illusion of it being spring already! What? Spring? I've just finished a big bulky sweater ... and it's spring already? No kidding ... trees were blooming with colourful flowers and pollens were all over the windshields of the cars. But I would not be fooled! Experience told me that before the real spring comes, I'll still have quite some chances to wear this sweater ... I'm sure.

Talking about this big bulky sweater, yes it's done. If you know how much I am fond of grafting, you'll know how much I really want this sweater ... grafting of 134 stitches! It went faster than I expected and was done as badly as expected! LOL! However the blocking bath helped to ease out the trace of ugly grafting. The bath! When I tried to lift the sweater from the bath tube to dry, I felt like having a Sunday night Bodypump class ... it was certainly much heavier than all the weights I used for the class! I felt it before typing this post and it is still pretty wet ... not dripping wet, but sure would need a lot of time to get dry. To finish the sweater, I need a button. Last night, I planned to use a button that I had in my stash ... the source is unknown and it is not particularly special, just kind of handy. However, I went to Jo-Ann's today and found this:

The colour of the sweater appears to be blue instead of purple in the picture but that of the button is true ... so in real life the two go very well together. Well, at least that was how I thought when I bought it. :)

Now the sweater is finished, I would focus all my attention on socks - Husband's grey socks and then the socks for my Sockapalooza pal. Yes, after much inner debate, I did joined the exchange. From the info given to me by my sock pal, she seems to be quite an adventurous person ... I like that! Do you think she would like this?

The colour is Bold Red ... beautiful! I may even try to whip up a pattern of my own ... since I saw a stitch pattern I like a lot in Barbara Walker's first treasury book. I'll see if I can work it out.

Talking about socks, I stole a lovely button from Bonne Marie over the weekend. I am wondering what sock yarns were used in the socks there!

Now, the ranting! I have the habit of checking out some knitting books from the public library just to get inspired or to admire the beautiful knitwears. One of these books is Tudor Rose. I have checked this book out once and really like it ... but I am not ready to pay big bucks to own one myself. This morning, I tried to reserve the copy ... and ... the status of the book was "LOST"! Lost? I had a feeling that it was not lost ... if you understand what I mean! I was quite angry over this ... because there is no way I would be able to get my hand on that book anymore. I also have the fear that other library copies by the same designer would sooner or later meet the same fate. Next time I go to the library I would certainly try to find out what penalty is given for losing a library book. And I would certainly make suggestion to the library administration that the patron losing a book should pay the current market price to replace the copy.

18 comments:

Debi said...

I love the button you chose, very retro!

I love the sock yarn, I wish I was your pal!

Your rant is well founded. All the St*rmore books have been "lost" from my library too, in fact one of the women at my old knitting group proudly admitted she was the one to do the "losing"!! Nice...NOT! I agree, she should have been made to pay the market value, NOT the $39.95 that the book cost!

erin said...

You grafted 134 stitches? GULP! Some of the library books here have pages torn out. So sad.

Mimi said...

Great button, it looks very unusual! How sad about these "lost" books. I agree with you that the library should impose a heavier penalty to discourage people from "losing" the books.

candsmom said...

I love the button you chose! Very pretty! And my hat's off to you for grafting 134 stitches, too. ;-) Your sock pal is so lucky- that Lorna's Laces is just beautiful! And I hear you about your library rant- similar things have happened with the Vogue Knitting Companion at my library. Grrr.... I couldn't agree with you more about fair market price. Take care, Agnes! :-)

Ruth said...

i agree with everyone else, that button is unique and very pretty! hey, i was in san jose this past weekend (father-in-law's birthday) and during superbowl, i dragged my hubby to Commuknity and Rug & Hut. you're right about R&H - REALLY messy but they have good yarns, lots of cascade! and Commuknity was beautiful!! reminded me alot of Knitting Arts (in saratoga) =)

Siow Chin said...

Very irresponsible behaviour there regarding the one who 'lost' the library book. I would have been angry too. Coincidentally, I borrowed AS's In the Hebrides just this Sat.

Lolly said...

That button is a very nice match - pretty pretty!

Great color for the socks too. Iam sure your pal will be happy ;)

Elspeth said...

If only they not only made you pay for the book but the processing cost of bringing a new one into the system. Or, maybe those particularly popular books should be reference only. Shame on anyone "losing" a library book when cities like Salinas don't even have public libraries anymore. Buy the )^%$$ thing if you have to have it!

Stephanie said...

Man that ticks me off. You KNOW that book is not lost. Bad bad karma to the person who STOLE it.

lori said...

That button is really pretty! I can't wait to see the finished Lace Leaf... All that grafting will be worth it!

Purly Whites said...

I just checked out the Alice Starmore Fair Isle knitting book from the library, which is awesome. But now I'm living in fear that if I try to get it again it will be LOST. And the book is out of print. Sigh...I feel for you.

margene said...

If the library has other books by AS you might want to see if they will sale them to you (they may not know the value). The sock yarn is yummy! Who could not love red!?

emy said...

The button looks so cool. Plus that celtic motif would go great on a cabled sweater!

Sheryl said...

The sweater & button are beautiful. I'm a freak for unique buttons. I love the sock nation button and put it on my blog too...thanks.

quiltyknitwit said...

I love all the projects you make. Yes, it feels like spring, but it won't last! (I live in Silicon Valley too!)

Lynette said...

You're the second person I've read who found really pretty buttons at Joann's. I must go back there. What a nice one you discovered.

Checking out knitting books from the library is usually a safe venture but my rant is it's always inter-library. Sometimes I wait weeks! "Lost" my butt. Somebody kept that book.

Jenifer said...

Hey Agnes -- I love the Joann selection of buttons, myself. :) Thanks for the nice note today -- Spring Knitty is the answer, but not sure what the date is exactly. Take care! http://jeniferknits.blogdrive.com

Nik said...

I love that yarn. I hate that I don't get the chance to knit myself many pairs of socks.