Tuesday, February 14, 2006

How deep is your love?

Husband hates Valentine's Day (actually, Christmas is the only festival he really likes), and I don't care about it enough to do something really special. So, we seldom celebrate Valentine's Day. But in case Husband feels the need to ask me this question today, I do have a knitter's way of answering that.


So, what's this? This is a swatch for a sweater I am going to knit for him. After blocking, the gauge for the 3mm stocking stitch is 8 sts per inch and the 2.5mm 8.5 sts. Since I like the texture of the 2.5mm piece better ... and there is no gauge higher than 7 sts in Ann Budd's book anyway, I chose to use 2.5mm needle and again do some math. Husband likes the 2x2 rib, so that would be for the cuffs.

Yes, I am going to knit a sweater of 48" chest circumference with a yarn which yields 8.5 sts per inch ... in the colour deep green and plain stocking stitch. In fact, I have already cast on for one body piece ... 204 sts! I can actually knit it in the round ... but I think that would push the level of boredom to an unreachable height for me, so I chose to knit in pieces. I've got quite some length done already:

2" of ribbing is done! ::Whew:: I think I love him deep enough ... hahaha ...

Do you notice the yarn label? This is a Russian manufactured yarn which I discovered from Lucia's blog (The Knitting Fiend). I am always kind of adventurous and not shy from trying out new stuff. As you can see from their site, the prices are not really too expensive. So, I ordered three different balls of yarns to try. This Deluxe Wool was the first one I swatched since this is a colour Husband likes. I really like it. The yarn is soft to touch in the ball and the knitted fabric gets very soft after wet blocking. Though I only swatched in stocking stitch, I feel that it would give good stitch definitions to cable patterns too. And it gives you a no-nonsense feeling about it ... nothing fancy, but practical and of good value. The most important thing is that the prospective wearer also thinks it is good and soft. If you are interested in their yarns, you should keep an eye on Lucia's blog since they sent her all the shop's samples and she would be swatching and writing about them. Hopefully, she would be able to help them with more gauge info.

Besides the yarns, I also ordered this Russian knitting magazine. It is just too bad that I can't read Russian as there are quite a few patterns that I like (being a sucker for cables and such!):


I even find the kid's patterns cute! You can click on the image to have a larger view. Russian magazines use lots of charts too. So, I think it may not be that difficult to figure out how to knit with the help of the photos. And of course, here is a little help with Russian knitting terms.

15 comments:

candsmom said...

That's definitely love!! Holy cow, 8.5 stitches per inch on a 48" chest?! And 3 mm needles, no less? You're a saint, Agnes! And I've used that exact Russian yarn you've posted! I ordered it off of Julia's Yarn Store on Ebay for a real bargain. It amounted to something like $1.50 per skein. I made my Honeymoon Cami (which really should've been in cotton) in that yarn and I loved how soft it was. I really like that cabled pattern on the top right- so pretty! Take care and Happy Valentine's Day! :-)

Siow Chin said...

I got yarn for my husband's sweater to be knitted on 6.5mm needles since last year but I'm still procrastinating :D)

joy said...

Gee, my love is sitting at 4 st/inch, and it's a light colored yarn. ;) Your husband must totally love you back!

Janine said...

Love indeed! My grandmother used to knit 50" chest traditional Gurernsey's in the round using 5 ply Guernsey wool and Uk size 12 ( 2.75mm?)Dp's (12 of them)for my father and I thought she was mad:-)

erin said...

Oh dear, what does it say when I have never knitted anything for my husband? I'm glad he doesn't read knittingblogs and so doesn't know that love can be measured in stitches per inch :)

grumperina said...

Hehe - the label of that yarn says, "Lux." If you need any help translating, you know where to turn ;).

nona said...

Somehow for you, Agnes, I think a 48" sweater knit at 8.5 sts per inch is completely doable -- I'm still impressed with your finished Old Tiles cardigan. Keep us posted on how the Russian yarn holds out.

Alison said...

Lovely yarn; will make a wonderful sweater!

And that is a beautiful gift from Debi! Enjoy it!

Toni said...

I can't believe you've gotten so far already--8.5 st/in, are you crazy? :)

Cookie said...

Your love is deeper than mine, for sure! My hubby just doesn't appreciate the knitterly things. Sigh.

Mimi said...

I have been planning to knit another vest for my DH. Got the yarn sometime ago but could not find a suitable pattern.
You had a great idea to start on Valentines' day. So, yesterday, i tried too but without results!

Anonymous said...

Russian yarns are beautiful indeed, especially mohair and alpaca ones. Too bad there are not that many reliable outlets to buy Russian yarn from, maybe Taiga will be one. I too bought from Julia's Yarns, twice in fact - do not know how she's doing it but my yarn came in by priority shipment, costing lot more in postage then I paid to have it shipped. Did not use last two skeins I bought from her, though - yarn arrived in the postal priority paper envelope, squished and unappetizing. Oh, and with a faint odor of motor oil - I guess, Julia keeps her yarns in the garage.

Mothlady said...

8.5 stitches per inch??? Now that's what I call true love ;)

Lola Lee Beno said...

Wow . . . thanks for the link to Taiga Yarns! i've been on the lookout for sources of Russian yarn and magazines.

Debi said...

Now that is true love :)

My first sweater after a 15+ year hiatus was for me (50" bust) in 4 ply on size 2.25mm needles (2.0 for the ribbing) and all stockinette - I feel your pain :)

I love the Russian knitting stuff, and how universal knitting is!