After measuring the size of the pocket lining, I cut out the fabrics, with about 3/4" around for the hems:
Yeah, you see it right ... I used orange fabrics for the milky white jacket! Husband was not really impressed with my choice, but hey, I have the fabrics right at home ready for use ... and isn't it a pleasant surprise to find autumn leaves inside your jacket pockets? To make the seaming of the hems easier, I steam-ironed the positions.
The hems are important here because the edges of cut fabrics would fray. I don't know the name of the stitch method I used, but you can see how I seamed the hems in Picture 1. When I was done with all four sides, I positioned the fabrics to the pocket lining, with the wrong side facing me (Picture 2). Then I started joining them together. I hate when the pockets of my jackets break ... so I used double sewing thread and just wrapped around the edges of the 2 parts in very closely-packed stitches (Picture 3). You can see a close up of the stitched edge of the pocket here:
Inside the circle, you can see I used a crochet cotton thread to attach the 2 loose corners of the pockets to the jacket. I learned this from one of my store-bought jackets.
So, dear friends, I have finally done all the finishing for Bomber. And I have to tell you that the result is surprising good. The size is right and it fits well.
Pattern and Modifications: Bomber designed by Kim Hargreaves from Denim People
I made the M size. I didn't have the nerves to do any modifications on this pattern. Actually, I was not even sure it would turn out right because of the uncertainty of washing (even though I did swatch). But there are 2 features of the design that I like very much.
The first one is the armhole shaping. Instead of just decreasing on both ends, which would interrupt the ribbing pattern, KH's design keeps the outermost rib continue and decreased on the second and third ribs:
I think this is a very intelligent design detail.
The second one is the collar shaping:
Yarn: Naturelle 8/8 cotton yarn in cone (74% Recycled Cotton; 24% Acrylic; 2% Unknown Fibres) Col: 700 Milk
When I ordered this from Elann, there was only one colour left. I read on some knitting blogs that there were lots of other colours. Too bad I was late and this boat has sailed already! This yarn makes some very good between-seasons garments.
Gauge and Needles:
Before washing: 20 st x 28 rows = 10cm x 10.5cm using US5
After washing, the measurements became 10cm x 9cm