Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Teva Durham

I love Teva Durham's designs. I think her designs are very cool ... and I think wearing them would make one look cool. Want proof? Go see Ann's husband ... of course, most probably he himself is a cool person, regardless of what sweater he is wearing ... but he is the proof that a perfectly normal, healthy-looking person can also look cool in Teva Durham's designs.

I have always wanted to make the Lace Leaf Pullover. Julia has made a beautiful variegated version. But there is one BIG problem for me ... the gauge for that sweater is 10 sts per 4". 8 out of 10 times, even when I am using the yarn specified for a pattern, my gauge would be tighter. To get the gauge, I may have to use polar weight yarn and huge needles ... both of which are not exactly to my liking. Or, I should start doing some math. Which I did. I worked on the easier part first, that is, the lower body:


I recalculated the number of stitches I need and re-wrote the lace leaf chart (so that the pattern wouldn't get too minute in my smaller gauge). So far so good. I would need the row gauge as well for the upper body ... and I figured I would get that when finishing the lower body. If you've seen the pattern, you'd know that the upper body is a bit different from ordinary sweater structrue. I am not sure if I can get that figured out. But even if I can't, lori (you have to stroll down a bit to see) showed me it would still be great to knit it in ordinary sweater pattern.

Oh, BTW, I am using Lion Brand Kool Wool in gorgeous Eggplant which I snapped from Smiley's. If I can get away with the 12 balls I got, the sweater would only cost me $15!

11 comments:

candsmom said...

I have the opposite problem from you- my knitting is so loose that I always have to go down a couple of needle sizes. What a bargain on that Kool Wool! The color is gorgeous and the bottom of your sweater looks fantastic so far. Take care, Agnes! :-)

Ruth said...

i tend to knit slightly tighter gauges too. i LOVE the the eggplant color - it looks so pretty!

erin said...

There's something special in all of Teva Durham's patterns. I only wish she used smaller gauge yarn as bulky yarn even in cotton is really too warm for our weather. Meanwhile, I will vicariously enjoy your knitting this eggplant sweater!

lori said...

The color is really pretty! I am in awe of the math and re-working of the leaf lace part!!

quiltyknitwit said...

I love that color! Looks like it'll turn out well.

Laura.Y said...

You are right, that eggplant color is wonderful. Can't wait to see your FO :)

Mimi said...

It's certainly a nice design and I love the eggplant color. And the cost is even better! :D

Alison said...

The color is pretty and the sweater will be wonderful.

Lolly said...

Oh, I have that same yarn in the stash for a Glampyre cardigan. It is such a pretty color! Can't wait to see more ;) Hope you are well, Agnes!

joy said...

That's a beautiful color!! You have such nice even stitches. When I use big needles, the tension get wacky. I really like her designs too, but as Erin mentioned, wish that she had more fine gauge knits.

Winter said...

Holy cow, that's a good price on that yarn! Gorgeous colour, too!