Wednesday, January 04, 2006

New Year's Knitting News

Hello everyone! I hope all of you have a good start in the new year in all aspects! I can't believe that today is already the fourth day into 2006! It seems "Time flies" is not only a tired old cliche after all!

As I've told you before, I started a new pair of socks on New Year's Day. It is a sock kit I got from Inspirations Yarn together with the Mystery Kit #4 called Cherry Blossom Socks. Though I'd like to use tubular cast on for the cuff, I couldn't figure out how to make k2p2 from that ... and somehow I really wanted to have k2p2 cuffs this time, therefore, I learned to do German Twist cast on. I used one needle for the cast on first, and discovered that it would be too tight, so I used 2. I love it! Using two needles and cast on loosely, you'll get a very neat but stretchy cuff ... beautiful. However, I went very slowly with this sock because I still couldn't figure out the logic behind the pattern. Usually if I am able to do that, I can go faster becasue I don't always have to refer to the pattern. If you go to Inspirations Yarn's page, you can see the pattern quite clearly. However, I think mine is not so clear:



I think maybe it would be better with blocking ... but honestly, except for the pair I knitted for my father, I never bother to block my socks. I just wear them and then wash ... that's it. The above picture shows the pattern better, but if you click on it, you can see the real colour of the yarn ... isn't it lovely?

Actually, I finished my first project this year yesterday. Yes, it's Ella. Since it still needs a bath and some blocking, you won't see it until after a few days, I think. Though we have a little break of sunshine today, the forecast is seeing more rain and showers coming ... so drying the shawl may take long.

For the Christmas just passed, I wanted to make something special for a knitter friend. While browsing the web for ideas, I came across this. After much fumbling with the toothpicks, beads, scrap yarns, pin and glue, I managed to make a knitter's brooch:



It was not very well made, but I think it is pretty cute ... and I am happy to say that the friend likes it. Wanna see a close up? ::Click::

12 comments:

erin said...

It's such a cute brooch! I've never tried the German cast on, so thanks for the tip.

caitlyn said...

Your socks look really good so far! I like the Twisted German cast-on too -- it's very tidy. The brooch is adorable!!

Siow Chin said...

Love the brooch! So cute!

Ruth said...

that is such a cute brooch! and yea, we're still trying to dry off from the weekend's storm too =P can't wait to see the shawl =)

twig said...

How cute!

And I love that pattern on the sock. Learning new cast ons is on my list for 2006.

Laura said...

I love the brooch! But always knit with circulars :-)

emy said...

That knitting brooch is way cute!

Debi said...

Yes indeed, the friend LOVES IT!! That's why is posted on MY blog too!! I'm sad to hear you didnt make one for yourself tho!

Most books say tubular doesnt work so well for 2x2..Lucy Neatby explains how to use it for socks, here's my "secret"....

With needle 2 - 3 sizes larger than you plan to use for the sock Cast on 1/2 the # needed for the sock using a crocheted CO and some waste yarn (I use crochet cottn, nice and slippery!) Knit into each crochet loop then join in the round, careful not to twist. knit 3 rows even. On row 4 Knit the first stitch then rolling the cast on edge UP thru the middle of the sock look for the purl bump for the next stitch, lift the bump to the right hand needle and PURL, repeat again for purl 2 rib...knit next TWO stitches then purl 2 purl bumps from the crochet cast on, repeat til end ot the round. Work 2 -3 rounds in K2, P2 rib then remove waste yarn by unravelling the first chain stitch and pulling gently (cat carefully if needed!)
Email me for questions, elaboration!

HTH!!

Debi said...

Forgot to add, change to smaller needle when for row 4!

Mimi said...

That German cast on looks complicated! There are so many ways to cast on... I am lazy just got to learn the tubular ones.
I have a similar pin but have yet to make the knitted part. It's very cute!

dianne said...

hi! loved your 2005 knitrospect, words & picture! this knitting brooch is adorable, great looking socks, color too.

Becky said...

That brooch is cuuuuuute!