Sunday, January 08, 2006

Here comes the zipper(s)

The second zipper arrived last Friday but I didn't get to work on the installation until today. Sometimes I find that before putting my hand on the actual work, mentally preparing myself for the task is even more important. Since I don't have a sewing machine, I need to hand sew it. I remember Bonne Marie has talked about this, so I googled her site for zipper ... voila! She has a complete pictorial tutorial here.

Going through that tutorial several times (you can see how nervous I was about this!), I started working on my jacket. First, with the jacket wrong side out, I basted the front edges:


and then secured the zipper's right side to the wrong side of the edges with pins:


Then I unzipped the zipper to make sure it was correctly positioned:


Everything seemed to be okay. So, it was now time to start the sewing ... but no! I only have some really crappy nylon threads ... I'm not sure if they are good enough. Bonne Marie mentioned something called "buttonhole twist thread". I don't know what exactly that is, but from what I saw on the web, it should be something a bit thicker than my crappy threads. ::sigh:: It seems the installation has to stop here and wait for a trip to the craft shop.

Note about the zipper: Last time I mentioned the shop sent me a wrong zipper. I have to apologize to them because they DIDN'T send me the wrong zipper, it was me who couldn't separate it!!!!! But I swear I did spend almost half an hour trying to do so to no avail. When the same situation happened with the second zipper, I started to suspect it was my problem. Then, not really knowing how, both were separated! So, I think it is only fair for me to pay for the second zipper.

10 comments:

joy said...

I was very nervous while doing my first zipper too. It'll be fine! :)

Karen said...

I cant wait to see your zipper project finished. It looks great by the way. Happy New Year too!

Lisa said...

The zipper install is loooking pretty good. btw - I used DMC floss to sew in zippers. Works really well.

Good luck.

Laura said...

I'm nervous about installing a zipper, too. But first I need to knit something that needs a zipper. Are you using a machine or sewing by hand?

nona said...

What! No tread! What a bummer! You're zipper installation seems to be going really smoothly, I cannot want to see the finished sweater. Thanks for the great pictures.

Cookie said...

Great pics! Will you be sewing in by hand or machine? Machine sounds scary, maybe not even possible, but what do I know?

erin said...

Hand sewing is much better, I think you have better control. Huh, I didn't know there was special thread :) I just sewed it with ordinary machine sewing thread doubled.

Mimi said...

I would love to have a cardi with zippers. I think your cardi will look great.

Shelley said...

Waiting...and still waiting to see the cardi...patiently! I'm convinced, I'm now going to have to do the Wavy Lace Shawl. How beatuiful!

Shelley said...

Oooops, I meant Ella!