Saturday, January 07, 2006

Ella

First FO of 2006! Ella has finished her blocking process. I am very happy with my decision to switch from the Wavy Lace Shawl to Ella. The pattern can really bring out the beauty of variegated yarn, see:


Besides, though the pattern is really really long due to the V-shape construction, it can be knitted up very fast. I am quite sure I would still be stuck with the knitting of the Wavy Lace Shawl if I hadn't switched ... and not feeling the love!

I'd love to have a picture showing me wearing the shawl, however, those taken were not very good in showing how it looks. Therefore, you have to put up with a model-less outdoor shot:


This is the first shawl I made for myself. The V-shape makes it rest on the shoulders securely. It is much more convenient that wearing a sweater because there are no bulky sleeves ... therefore very good for keeping warm at home while I can knit, read, write, use the computer freely. I can also use it as a lapghan. I also like the way Wendy wore it in the pattern.

Details:
Pattern and Modifications: Ella designed by Wendy Wonnacott from Fall 2005 Knitty
This is a very well-written and easy-to-follow pattern. Once you finish with the increasing section 2, the knitting becomes very fast and you'll find that you can finish in no time! Though I printed out all the charts for the 9 sections, I actually just followed the written instructions for the whole knitting process. I think perhaps I should really practice more with knitting from charts.

Yarns: Araucania Nature Wool (100% Wool) Col: 24
The yarn is not luxurious super soft wool, but it softened significantly after washing and it is not itchy. I have a feeling that it would make quite hard-wearing fabrics. One more plus to the yarn ... it is very warm! I don't think I would use it for sweater as I don't really like variegated-coloured sweaters, but for shawls or scarves, this would be an economical but nice choice. I used 3 skeins for Ella and still have 3 remaining. I am looking for ideas to use them up. Maybe a hat.

Measurements, Gauge and Needles: The gauge stated on the label is 18 stitches to 4" using US 5-7. But I haven't swatched to get the gauge (do I really have to?). Here are the measurements of my shawl:


Not quite the same as in the pattern. The needles I used are US8.

17 comments:

grumperina said...

It's gorgeous! You're right - it shows off variegated yarns beautifully, both the ones you used, and the original one in the pattern. Enjoy wearing it!

erin said...

really unusual shape, nice colour. Looks like it will be able to keep you warm.

twig said...

I think you made the absolute right decision in changing patterns. Ella turned out wonderfully with your yarn choice.

caitlyn said...

It's stunning!! The yarn really does match very well with the project.

Debi said...

So beautiful Agnes! I'm glad your first shawl (for you!) turned out so perfectly! Great eye for marrying pattern to complimentary yarn!
Wear it well and with joy, great first FO of 2006!

zibibbo said...

She is gorgeous!! Bravissima!

Momo said...

Beautiful! The yarn is gorgeous!

Purly Whites said...

Fabulous! You did an amazing job. And I'm so glad you knit yourself a shawl!

Mimi said...

It's a beautiful shawl! I like it's shape and you are right, the pattern is great for the variegated yarn. I'll keep this pattern in mind.

Ruth said...

wow!!! it looks gorgeous!! great job! =)
p.s. ska music is just another type of music - a little bit of rock, brass instruments, and a very very upbeat rhythm. i discovered it in college... it started getting popular in southern california when swing dancing was growing popular too, maybe 8-9 years ago? =)

katie said...

Beautiful--the yarn and the knitting.

Laura said...

is it sacreligious to say that I like yours better than Zib's? Very nicely done!

Monica said...

It's beautiful!

Siow Chin said...

It's really gorgeous, enjoy wearing it often!

claudia said...

Very pretty color and shape. I think it needs to be modeled.

;-)

Roxanne said...

Gorgeous!

lori said...

Oh! It's so pretty! I have been thinking about trying this pattern, nice to hear notes on how it is to knit.