Friday, December 30, 2005

Suddenly ... another FO

About 3 weeks ago, I received an email from a former co-worker announcing that he has become a father! Wow! Happy news. It is a baby boy ... he is almost 2 months old now. The father said this in his email, "If you are in Hong Kong, you can knit him something... (just kidding)." And I thought, I don't have to be in HK to knit the little boy something, right? So, I cast on and started my first project for a baby. I didn't work on it consistently, just a row here and there ... and maybe another row before I fell asleep. But after I finished Urban Aran, I thought I should finish this project fast ... otherwise who knows? Babies grow fast ...



Details:
Pattern and Modifications: Purly White's Cable and Seed Stitch Baby Hat
Purly kindly offers this pattern for free. If you would like to try, just click on the link and leave her a comment; she would then send you the pattern.
I think the hat is incredibly cute ... but the cuteness didn't show until I started the decreasing rows. I don't enjoy knitting seed stitch too much, but I like the way it looks.

Yarns: Jo-Ann Sensations Collection Tesoro (100% Wool) Col: 632 Blue
This was among the Jo-Ann yarns I bought some time ago. The recommended gauge on the label is 18 stitches for 4" using US10. But somehow I was able to get the same gauge as Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino (the yarn used by Purly) using US3. I have to say this yarn is quite a pleasure to work with. With the seed stitch and cables, the hat felt a bit stiff. However, after a quick wash, the stiffness went away completely. Since there are only 87 yards in a 50g-ball, I needed to get a second ball (with lots of leftover!).

Gauge and Needles: 25 stitches to 4", DPNs 3

Now, what I need to do is to get his address. Do you think the parents would let me knit their son another hat?

10 comments:

Ruth said...

hi agnes ~ the blue hat is very cute!! i'm sure the parents would be pleasantly pleased :)

claudia said...

Agnes, just make the Viking Chicken. An appropriate baby will appear. Trust me.

;-)

Laura.Y said...

That looks real cute! If you feel like knitting more baby stuff, just do it..:P They don't stay small for very long LOL That was what happened to me.

joy said...

Ditto Claudia's comment. Just make it!

marirob said...

I love that hat - I have the pattern from Purly too but have yet to make it. Make the Viking Chicken - some one will apppreciate it!
Happy New Year!

dianne said...

adorable!
Happy New Year!!

Mimi said...

Lovely baby hat! And you just finished it before the year ends!;)
The gift will be just a nice surprise and am sure they will welcome another hat from you!

letti said...

ooo..very cute! Happy new year!

grumperina said...

Great little blue hat! I know the little boy will look very cute in it :)

Purly Whites said...

Aaawww, the hat looks fabulous. I'm glad you enjoyed the decreases, they were fun to figure out. More importantly, I'm glad my pattern made sense! Yay!