Tuesday, December 27, 2005

One more before 2006

I wonder if you have the same feeling ... that it is always a mystery how the sleeve cap of a set-in sleeve can fit into the body:


And very often, it makes me nervous! The good news is ... they do fit each other this time! My last FO for 2005 is done:





Can you see my happiness? Since it is bulky yarn, I expect I would look a bit more bulky in the sweater. Though I did swatch, I didn't wash the swatched piece (well, I almost never do this step!). The result? You see the sleeves? They are a bit longer because the yarn stretches lengthwise after wash. But on the whole, I am happy with the result and the sweater is comfy!


Details:
Pattern and Modifications: Urban Aran from Patons Designer Series Street Smart
After reading Terri's advice on better tailoring, I decided to go for the small size. As you can see from the pictures, the sweater fits very well and is with enough ease. The finished measurement of the sweater's width is 16.5". Blocking did stretch out a little bit, but not as much as the length.
For the collar, the instructions called for picking up stitches, knitting back and forth and then sewing the left shoulder up to the collar. I must say this is an unusual way to me. So, I did it my usual way - sewing both shoulders, picking stitches around the neck and knitting the collar in the round. The collar in the pattern measures 5" ... a deep turtleneck. I made it half the length so that the sweater can be more versatile.
One feature I like about the pattern is the cross ribbing on the sides, which gives a little waist shaping to the body.

Yarns: Jaeger Como (90% Merino Wool, 10% Polyamide) Col: 235 Orange
This is my first time knitting a sweater using bulky yarn. One good thing about bulky yarns is that they knit up really really fast. Not just that, even the sewing is fast! Jaeger Como feels really soft ... and it becomes even softer after wash. However, I can't say I enjoy knitting with it. This is because the yarn is untwisted, my needles always got caught through the strand. Besides, mysteriously, there were lots of plant fibres embedded. Well, I am happy to say that I didn't fall in love with this yarn ... which is not a bad thing considering the fact that it has been discontinued!

Gauge and Needles: 15 stitches to 1", US10 and US10.5

24 comments:

twig said...

Oh Agnes! I love love love it! And I *like* the extra long sleeves.

caitlyn said...

I *love* the sweater!!! It's just beautiful!! Congrats on such a wonderful FO. And you cut your hair!

joy said...

It looks really comfy, and I love the cheerful color! The long sleeves are great for keeping your hands warm too!

candsmom said...

Oh, I LOVE it, Agnes!! Beautiful, beautiful job! The fit is just perfect and I can't believe how thin you look in a bulky knit, you enviable girl! ;-) The design looks so intricate and gorgeous- you did such an incredible job on this sweater! Take care! :-)

Giulia said...

congrats, your sweater is just gorgeous!

dianne said...

the sweater looks great & it looks great on you!!

grumperina said...

Beautiful sweater! You look so happy in it :)

marirob said...

It looks so good! I've been thinking about knitting that sweater too so it's good to see your notes on the sweater. Great job!

emy said...

You've been really productive! That's a great looking sweater!

erin said...

You really look happy in your pretty new sweater. I love reading your FO posts, so informative and chockful of good stuff. I have that same question each time I look at a curved arm scythe and a raglan shaped sleeve and it never fails to amaze me when they seam up so well. And yes, my knitting motto lately is knit small, although I'm still a bit nervous about it.

Laura said...

I really like this sweater and I can't believe that it is made with bulky yarn!

I have some bulky yarn that needs to be a sweater...hummm...I have to find that booklet!

Ruth said...

wow!!! it looks really great and it fits you wonderfully!!! great job!! you have every reason to be happy about your FO. =)

HomeJewel said...

It's gorgeous. I'd be celebrating, too!

spirals said...

looing good. i have this pattern and i have been wanting to try it out for a while now.. maybe now i will!

claudia said...

Pretty sweater. Pretty color. Pretty smile.

Debi said...

Simply gorgeous Agnes!! Oh, the sweater's nice too!! :)

Pumkin says he LOVES that color Auntie Agnes!!

So what will you be starting on January 1?

Bonnie said...

What a great way to finish the year!!!

Becky said...

What a great way to close out the year :-)

lori said...

I LOVE your sweater! It looks great on you! Congrats on the sleeve caps working! I always end up having to fight with them...

Siow Chin said...

Lovely sweater on lovely Agnes! Yay!

Mimi said...

It's a great way to end 2005 with a lovely sweater. The design and the color goes well with you!
Happy New year, Agnes!

Laura.Y said...

hehehe :D U certainly look very happy there. It looks good on you too. Thanks for refering me to Terri's site. I was looking for articles like that. Happy New Year!

alltangledup said...

gosh it does look fantastic on you. I like the sleeve lengths... can tuck your hands in to keep 'em warm too. have a happy new year ;o)

Zippianna said...

It's so beautiful. And it looks great on you. Congratulations!