Tuesday, December 06, 2005

I'm back!

One week passed quickly and yesterday we saw my MIL off at the airport. Afterwards I tried to do some catching up with my Bloglines reading ... and, as before, got a shock - over 150 posts! I think maybe I need several days to clear that! ;)

During my MIL's stay here, the weather had really been lousy for some time. Luckily, we got to see some sunshine towards the end. I am also happy to report that she loves Kiri. After I posted on the shawl, I put it inside a large Ziplock bag (a really really large one) and set it aside. So, I haven't seen the shawl in person for quite some time. When I took it out for my MIL, I was also stunned to find how beautiful it is! I am thinking maybe I can make myself a Birch ...

Other happy knitting news! During the past week, thanks to the rain, I was able to have some pockets of time to knit. I re-started the first square in the Great American Aran Afghan:


This is the Meredith K. Morioka Square. The pattern calls for a 5 repeats of the center lattice pattern; but I found that I could get 12" with 4 repeats (plus the help of blocking). This is the 3rd attempt when I was finally able to get the gauge. I can envision a lot of ripping in the course of this project.

Today is already the 6th day of December. If I want to send the Christmas presents to my brother on time, I think I need to push myself a little more on Broad Street Mittens:


The first glove without the covering flap is done. I plan to finish both gloves before attempting to work on the flaps.

Last but not least (I love this phrase!), Bomber:


The shrinking of the yarn was not as much as the pattern calls for, but that worked to my advantage as I'd love the jacket to be a bit longer than that in the pattern. However, the sad news is that it may be a bit too tight for me widthwise. This has been bothering me while knitting. I can still fit into the jacket, which is without a zipper now (on its way home from Zipperstop), so it's hard to tell what it would look like when completely finished. But the truth is ... I love this jacket. So, maybe I just need to sweat more and shed some fat to wear it. :P

20 comments:

Ruth said...

wow that afghan square looks great! and i agree, your bomber jacket is wonderfully looking. i'm sure it would look great on you. =)

twig said...

Bomber is gorgeous! *fingers are crossed that it will fit well once you get the zipper in*

Purly Whites said...

I love Bomber! And the afghan square! And good luck getting those gloves done.

candsmom said...

I'm so glad your MIL loved Kiri. And Your jacket is gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! Love the color and it looks so versatile. Your afghan square is so beautiful, too! That afghan looks like it's going to be quite an undertaking, but so worth it in the end. Great job on the gloves...best wishes getting them to your brother soon!

Stephanie said...

Your aran square looks great! You got very nice stitch definition. Love the Bomber too. :)

erin said...

Oooohhh, Bomber looks so good in that creamy colour. I'm sure it's going to look great on you!

claudia said...

That is a really cute sweater. Block it ruthlessly.

shelley said...

I looks great...I'm with the others, blog generously and I beat it will come around.

Great square too!

Dianne said...

Hi! I followed your blog link from the KnitHeaven Forum profile:). Just thought I'd take a peek, but I have to leave a comment!
Everyone has said it all but Bomber is fabulous...love it all, color, style, and on and on.
And, beautiful Morioka Square, and great mitten/s!
Dianne

shelley said...

Er...yes, I meant "block"!

Siow Chin said...

Let's hope the ribbing will be very forgiving!

Liz said...

Agnes, I have found that a Wooly Board is my best friend in blocking sweaters that are already sewn together. It has transformed a number of my sweaters from tight to just right. :)

The afghan square is lovely! As is Bomber and the glove in progress

Harmonia said...

Great to see you again. Thanks for the comments. Yeah, Fruit Leather ROCKS! I love it.

I posted 5 entries today including pics of my vegan stuffing!

Lolly said...

Hi Agnes! So good to see you back ;) Oh, I love Bomber! That is just a great sweater!

Glad to see you joined KnitHeaven too!

Laura said...

I happy to see the afghan square and am looking forward to seeing your progress. I like that afghan a lot, but I was a bit worried that I would have to mess with gauges each time I started a new square.

Bomber looks great! All that ribbing should help with the fit :-)

Toni said...

I so hear you about mega Bloglines to read. I'm lucky to read 1 day, let alone the number of posts waiting in the queue.

Do you think wet blocking might help the Bomber jacket? It's such a lovely sweater, it'd be a shame not to get immediate use out of it.

Laura.Y said...

I love that bomber jacket!!!! drool drool! Oh I can understand bout blogline count. ugh my count goes up to 400 over posts nowadays..:| Enjoy ur catching up :)

Winter said...

I love the pattern on the afghan square. And Bomber looks very nice, too! Looks very comfy!

Kimberly said...

The sweater is beautiful. I think it would be hard for anyone not to love it.

Mimi said...

So many nice things to show. I think this afghan is going to be so pretty and fun to knit as it has so many designs in it.
Your bomber looks terrific and I am sure the ribbing will stretch with some wear.