Monday, December 12, 2005

Brother's Mittens

They are finished and blocked as scheduled. Honestly, during the years I've known my brother (!), I haven't seen him wearing any glove-like objects. So, I am not sure if he would wear these ... but I just think that it would be nice for him to have something to keep his hands warm during the night-shifts.



So now, all I need to do is to pack everything together and go to the post office ... if I don't delay this, for once I would be able to send the presents on time. My idiosyncrasy ... I just don't like going to post office, so I would keep putting it off.

Details:
Pattern and Modifications: Broad Street Mittens from Knitty (designed by Janis Cortese) plus the glove pattern in Ann Budd's The Knitter's Handbook of Patterns
I knitted the gloves mainly following Ann Budd's pattern and switched to the Knitty pattern for the mitten covers.

Yarns: Elann's Sock It to Me Collection Essential 4 Ply
Since I used Ann Budd's book to help with the gauge, I went back to this machine-washable sock yarn, which is more practical for my brother in terms of care. The yarn is a bit rough to the touch when you first knit with it, but it softens more and more with wash ... but of course, don't try to compare it with Lorna Lace ... hahaha ...

Gauge and Needles: 7.5 stitches to 1", dpns US2 and US3 (for binding off of fingers)


During the past weekend, I managed to get a second square (Vicki Sever Square) for the GAAA done:


There was no struggle with the needle sizes and gauge this time. I love the design of this square and it was a great pleasure to work with. Sever got the inspiration for the design from her sister who died of breast cancer. Other than the breast cancer awareness ribbon, the cross stands for faith, the anchor for hope and the heart for love. I especially like the anchor.

20 comments:

grumperina said...

I love those glo-mittens! How fabulous! I know your brother will enjoy them :).

Laura.Y said...

those mittens looks warm and toasty. I love the squares you've been doing too. The pattern looks fantastic.

Ruth said...

oooh, good job on the mittens!! they look really good!!! and your squares are also very impressive!

twig said...

Love the mittens/gloves and the square. One day I will get up the nerve to start the GAAA.

As for the post office, as long as you have a box, a printer, a scale, a credit card and you're mailing it within the US. You can go to http://www.usps.gov and print up the shipping label and pay online for the postage then arrange for a carrier pickup and you can stay toasty warm at home.

Siow Chin said...

The square is so lovely, I think it's going to be another beautiful afghan!

joy said...

Gloves made by his sister, I'm sure your brother will wear these pride, at least for a little while! ;)
And the square is beautiful!

Mimi said...

I am sure your brother will enjoy the gloves . They look very cozy and comfy! That anchor in the square looks so nice.
Talking about post-offices,I am like you as I can delay so much that I miss the deadlines.

candsmom said...

Your brother's mittens look wonderful! You did such a fantastic job with them and they certainly look warm and cozy! I'm so impressed with your GAAA squares, too. Each square is so beautiful on its own and I can imagine they're going to be so beautiful all together!

Shelley said...

Great job...The mittens look awesome!

Lolly said...

Great work on the gloves, Agnes! I am sure your brother will love them!

Lovely square too - so many fine details ;)

caitlyn said...

The gloves look really great!! And the afghan square is beautiful as well.

LesleyKnits said...

That's gorgeous (as is all your knitting!).

Lesley aka LesleyKnits on KR

dianne said...

Brother's gloves are great!! What a great idea with covering/ uncovering fingers. Absolutely Love the square for GAAA...symbolism touches the heart:)

Purly Whites said...

Oh, you are such a sweet sister! I bet he'll adore them.

Debi said...

Love the glove, Love the square, HATE the Post Office :)

Liz said...

I love the "glittens"! I'm sure your brother will too.

The square is also lovely. You did a great job with it.

Ah yes, the dreaded post office... I'm not exactly a fan of the post office, but I don't pathalogically avoid it either... :)

nona said...

Great job with the Broad Street Mittens -- I hope your brother likes them and wears them often.

claudia said...

I made that pattern, and it is a very practical design.

Debi said...

I love those glittens!! I bet your brother will be thrilled...men don't think about stuff like that but when you give it to them, they're thrilled and wonder how they ever did without it!

The square is lovely too!

One more day!!! :)

Pat said...

I too think the square is lovely- My best friend has breast cancer and I want to make her a throw or afghan with the awareness ribbon in it. Your square is the closest I have come to finding it. Could you please tell me where I can get the pattern. My email is
miz_maxine@yahoo.com
Thank you so much
Pat