Saturday, December 31, 2005

2005 Knitrospect

I thought I would have to post this in 2006. The internet connection has been out until 10 p.m.! First of all, some statistics. A summary of the projects I finished in 2005:

3 pullovers / sweaters
4 sleeveless tops
1 cardigan
9 scarves
3 wraps / shawls / stoles
9 pairs of socks
3 pairs of gloves / mittens
5 bags / accessories
1 sampler afghan
1 baby hat

Pretty productive, huh? The scarves are surprises to myself. I wouldn't have thought I would like knitting scarves ... or knit so many. It is very obvious that what I have are already more than what I really need ... but there are a number of scarves that I am itching to make. Perhaps just find an excuse ... hahaha ...

Other than the number of FOs, another thing I feel proud of myself is the number of WIPs on the needles. Unfinished business always irritates me. I only have GAAAfghan and Ella on the needles right now (plus a crocheting afghan project). Without the internet connection, I thought I would spend the whole 2005 New Year's Eve finishing Ella.

In terms of project types, I ventured into almost everything I can think of. I have no plan to make any poncho since it is something I don't wear. I am the most happy with the last sweater (Urban Aran) because it is so wearable. Nothing pleases me more than that. Of course, the Old Tiles jacket is my knitting poster child for 2005. I'm not sure if I would take up another adventure like that very soon.

Plans for 2006? I would really like to knit more socks next year. So, I would cast on for a new pair of socks on New Year's Day! :) In terms of sweaters, here is a store-bought shirt that I love wearing a lot:


It's not just the dark colour, but the shape of the shirt that fits me very well. Therefore, I have been looking at Tubey (Knitty) and Peppermint Twist (Stitch and Bitch). But instead of having the stripes on the body, I would have them on the sleeves.

Kerstin of At My Knits End has decided to give up blogging. This was what she wrote on the last post, "Over the last year or so, I found myself knitting for the blog instead of knitting for myself. It isn't a path I want to continue on in the new year." While I feel that it is a pity to see one knitter stopping her blog, I fully support her decision to do so if that was how she felt about blogging. So far, I have been knitting projects that I like and I enjoy the knitting enormously most of the time. So to wrap up this post, I hope we all continue to enjoy what we love doing and not let anything unnecessary interfere with that enjoyment.

Happy Knitting into 2006, everyone!

11 comments:

joy said...

Like that idea about the Tubey sweater. I usually end up wearing the knits if they're similar to what I already have!
And a happy new year to you! Here's to another productive year!

erin said...

Having stripes on the sleeves will be unique. Go for it, knit your heart's desires in 06.

claudia said...

That is such a cute picture of you in the helmet. :)

caitlyn said...

Congratulations on your many accomplishments this year!

Mimi said...

You have a good diversified FO list. It's a great accomplishment!
I am into knititng scarves too, as they are perfect WIP to take along when I am out the house.

alltangledup said...

wow..! very impressive. have a happy new year and keep knitting that which is interesting to you.

Latoya said...

I like the sweater that you knitted. I'm meditating on starting such a project, I've just been looking for an in the round pattern.
I look forward to seeing more of your FO in 2006.

Laura.Y said...

wow, you have sure finished a lot of knits last year. Tubey looks interesting. Would love to see you FO on that. Happy 2006 Agnes!

Mary Beth said...

Great post! I never thought to do a count of FO's - it's really interesting to see how they break out. I, too, hope to knit for the pure enjoyment in 2006!

Siow Chin said...

I love the idea of Tubey too but most important of all is to knit what you like!

Sharon J said...

That's a lot of knitting in one year! Congratulations. I can understand what your friend meant by knitting for the blog rather than for herself and if that's the case, her decision was no doubt the right one to take. I just hope I never get to that stage. ~Sharon J