Saturday, November 19, 2005

Absolutely gorgeous!

The weather-people on the radio station here called it "Indian Summer" ... to me, it is even better than the real thing. The temperature is mild ... even with all that sunshine, you won't sweat a bit, yet you can still use a nicely knitted jacket or sweater ... isn't that just perfect? I knit, but I don't really look forward to the winter weather here ... which is cold, dark and wet. I much prefer the winter in Hong Kong - cold but dry.

So, the weather has been gorgeous here for a whole week, and I have been knitting a pair of gloves, which cannot be used immediately. Actually, I didn't have a single pair of gloves the whole time I was here ... not really a necessary item for me. I was more knitting out of interest rather than need. When I got the book A Gathering of Lace, I was pleasantly surprised to find that there were patterns for items other than shawls. Actually, the 2 sock patterns are really beautiful ... on my to knit list.

If you like knitting socks, the chance is great that you'd like knitting gloves too. On her blog, nona has given tutorials on i-cord gloves ... starting from the fingers. That's a fun way. But I started mine from the cuff and had to re-attach the yarn for the various fingers. At first I thought I would be annoyed by this. I am happy to announce that it was not the case. Considering the small size of the FO, the finishing for gloves is enormous. Yet, I have changed a lot in my opinion of finishing work after the blue afghan and Old Tiles. I still enjoy the knitting process more than the finishing, but I am more able to see the latter as an essential part of the former, which would be incomplete and futile without good finishing. This explains why I could weave in all the loose ends (sound familiar?) without any delay and got an FO quickly.



No more Michael Jackson freak. Instead I am now Mickey Mouse! But the flash was a bit too much and the colour seemed to be not true to life. The following shot is better ... but you have to ignore my cross-eyed Mickey Mouse look!



The lace pattern is simple ... but I like the way the zig-zag pattern extends into the fingers. I think I may have made the right thumb too short, so I have to rework on it later when the gloves are dry from their bath.

Details:
Pattern and Modifications
: Vanalinn Gloves by Nancy Bush from A Gathering of Lace
No changes made to the pattern, which was very well written. It was written for woman's medium. Luckily, that fits me. If it didn't, it may not be that easy to adjust the pattern for different number of stitches.

Yarn: Peruvian Collection Baby Cashmere (60% Baby Alpaca/ 30% Merino Wool/ 10% Cashmere) Col:2020 Claret
I have used this yarn before and like it a lot as it is very soft, though it splits a bit.

Gauge and Needles: 32 stitches to 4", US2

I suddenly realized that we are nearing the end of November! So, I'd better get my brother's Broad Street Mittens started!

24 comments:

Winter said...

You're lucky that it's so nice and warm where you are. Up here, it's turned bittwerly cold. We had snow the other day, frost stays on the grass into the afternoon now, and puddles freeze overnight.

Ah, Canadian winters. How I loathe thee.

joy said...

Pretty gloves, what a nice color! I love that yarn too. How many balls did you need for the gloves?

caitlyn said...

Those gloves are beautiful! I really like the lace pattern. It's also good to hear that you enjoyed the finishing process.

Debi said...

These are the prettiest hand knit glove EVER Agnes! Just beautiful! Great color choice, perfect knitting and finishing! Brava!

Janine said...

Isn't it weird how some patterns ust seem to pop up everywhere:-)
I have just finished Broad street gloves for my hubby and before that I made the gloves from GOL for me!

Siow Chin said...

Very pretty gloves! We are having really nice weather here right now, sunny, cool and dry.

Eilene said...

Love your gloves and your patchwork sweater is adorable!!! I'm so glad...now I can wear my fingerless gloves! :-)

candsmom said...

The gloves are beautiful! I love the color, too. :-)

erin said...

They turned out great. Yah, lots of ends to weave in. How did you secure the ends? Mine are beginning to peek out to the front of the glove.

Mimi said...

Wow! Really nice gloves! Fits you so well and it has laces too!

Eva Shiu said...

Beautiful gloves ! I wish I can make a pair of myself ^^

Liz said...

Agnes, those gloves are gorgeous! Congratulations!

Purly Whites said...

Those gloves are fab! You did such a great job.

Alison said...

Beautiful gloves and beautiful color. I love Nancy Bush patterns and your gloves are wonderful. I've been eyeing them in GOL for a while (along with a thousand other things:)

Erica said...

THose are so pretty! I need to get that book.

Ruth said...

wow, that is SOOO pretty!!! i really like it! the lace turned out really nice too!! and i agree with the weather - thanksgiving is this week and it's still in the mid-70's, bright and sunny and warm. a bit strange. =)

emy said...

Love those gloves! Wish I could have a pair on today as it's drizzling the entire day here in Singapore!

Shelley said...

Oh so beautious!

claudia said...

That is an extremely cute picture of you!

I also like how the zigs zap up into the fingers. Nicely done.

Lolly said...

So, I am a little late to the party... but I wanted to tell you that I LOVE the gloves!!! So cute ;)

twig said...

I'm even later to the party than Lolly. Wow! How pretty those gloves are!

desiknitter said...

Those gloves are gorgeous! I have been eyeing that pattern for a while now, and am sorely tempted now by your photographs. I love the colour.

nona said...

What great gloves you made! The lace design turned out beautifully. I hope you get lots of wear out of them.

knitsteel said...

I found your blog while googling lace gloves. Yours are lovely. You are inspiring me to get that book, already on my amazon wishlist.