Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Sock Muse? Sock Bug?

Whatever her name is, she came for a visit recently ... aarh, finally! See what I got here:


I am especially happy with the purchase of Socks, Socks, Socks, which I have wanted to have for a long long time, and Knitting Vintage Socks. I had 2 Beverly's 40%-off store coupons and I thought the best way to use them was to get the books I wanted. Unable to find anything interesting, I was about to use the coupons for 2 balls of the new Lion Wool when I found these two hidden behind copies of quilting books on the shelves. Yay! Now I think I have enough sock patterns to knit into my second lifetime ... hahaha ... But what I am most interested in is this:


Don't you think it is extremely cute? I think it is an antique collectible item ... but I'd really love to have one.

So sock muse has come and I have the desire to start ... but one thing I learned recently is "focus". Without it, I don't think I can finish anything. Right now, my priority is with Old Tile. So, I tell myself ... I can start casting on for a pair of socks after I finish the back of the sweater. How far away is that?


What you see here is at Row 73 ... about 12 rows from armhole shaping. I always think after armhole shaping, things would go faster, even though that is only 12 stitches less. Hopefully, next time I post, I can show you the finished back.

11 comments:

emy said...

Old tile looks great! I'll never put myself through the agony of a bazillion ends. Not just yet :P

erin said...

Agnes, I really admire your ability to ficus and stay on track. Wish you good speed with old tile. It's one of those sweaters that a real pain to knit, but the end result will be stunning, so keep it up!

joy said...

You're making amazing progress with Old Tiles. Keep at it!!!

Mimi said...

You sure are enjoying your old tile. It soon will be an FO!
I love that bell gauge for needle sizes.

Lolly said...

Glad you found that sock muse, Agnes! I do understand finishing Old Tile first though. Good luck! it is so amazing!

Debi said...

Old Tile is gonna be so stunning when she's done...and the socks will be waiting patiently :)

nona said...

You're making fabulous progress with your Old Tiles sweater -- it's going to be a masterpiece! I started that sweater a couple of year ago and it now sits in my UFO pile. You've inspired me to pull it out and keep going.

Lynette said...

Catching up with you here...I'm really liking Old Tile! I haven't tackled intarsia so it'll be fun to see how you progress.

There's something about socks that are just so comforting to knit. I have Sensational Socks and it's a great book. I want to knit every single pattern.

Siow Chin said...

May the Focus Goddess be with you! And it is not that bad to start a little sock as a little diversification from the tough intarsia.

Chrissy said...

Ohhh Ahhh... I totally have sock pattern book envy. I think I may have to get some tomorrow. Happy knitting :)

somebunnysloveDOTcom said...

Hi Agnes,
I must be a really goober, because I totally LOVE that bell shaped gauge checker!
=:8
http://www.somebunnyslove.com