Sunday, October 16, 2005

October is ...

for the kicking off of Socktoberfest 2005 (held by the lovely Lolly)!


In order to be on time for this, I worked my behind off to finish the back of Old Tile. Now I can cast on for my socks. But before that, I've been experimenting. October is also Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Last year when I saw this pattern, I'd love so much to make a pair but I hadn't started sock-knitting then. Therefore, it is very natural that I choose this pattern for Socktoberfest. However, the pattern was written for cuff-down knitting. At this moment, I'd like to do toe-up ... this means I need to rewrite the ribbon pattern. I think I've got it:


What you see here is a Frankenstein of my sock experimenting:
1) Turkish cast on from VK Fall 2005 - this is really very easy and there is no need for waste yarn. If you don't have the magazine, look out for Debi's blog ... she is going to give a visual tutorial on this.
2) Short-row toe based on Wendy's toe-up sock pattern - strangely enough, there were no holes on both sides this time. I don't know whether it is because of the double wrapping or the yarn being more fluffy and thicker. Yet, I found that I like the toes to be a bit more pointy, so I would do a few more short rows.
3) Rewriting of the ribbon pattern - I hope you can see the pattern on the sock clearly. I don't really like the lace in the original pattern. I think I would do a 2x2 ribbing instead.

So now, all is ready for the REAL casting on of my Socktoberfest socks. Since I've completed the back of Old Tile, I am allowing myself to take a day off from it and devote the time for the socks. Oh yes, Old Tile:

7 comments:

joy said...

Are you knitting in your sleep? Old Tiles is coming along mighty fast!!

Peggy said...

Wow, I haven't visited this site in a few weeks and what progress! I love your afghan - reminds me to get back to knitting mine... and the old tiles is amazing! I can't wait to see the FO!

Debi said...

You sock looks amazing Agnes!

You've totally made it your own...and thanks for the shout out on the Turkish Cast-On tutorial. I think I'll post it on Wednesday so I don't steal any thunder from the Rhinebeck returnees :)

I cannot wait to see Old Tile on you! What an ambitious undertaking and what glorious and perfect knitting!!

twig said...

Wow, Agnes. You must never sleep! It looks great!

Mimi said...

It's amazing how fast "Old Tile" is been knitted! Good job!

Siow Chin said...

Are you using self-patterning yarn for your Old Tile? Just kidding :D)

claudia said...

That is some serious knitting you've got goin' down on this blog. Wow.