In order to be on time for this, I worked my behind off to finish the back of Old Tile. Now I can cast on for my socks. But before that, I've been experimenting. October is also Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Last year when I saw this pattern, I'd love so much to make a pair but I hadn't started sock-knitting then. Therefore, it is very natural that I choose this pattern for Socktoberfest. However, the pattern was written for cuff-down knitting. At this moment, I'd like to do toe-up ... this means I need to rewrite the ribbon pattern. I think I've got it:
What you see here is a Frankenstein of my sock experimenting:
1) Turkish cast on from VK Fall 2005 - this is really very easy and there is no need for waste yarn. If you don't have the magazine, look out for Debi's blog ... she is going to give a visual tutorial on this.
2) Short-row toe based on Wendy's toe-up sock pattern - strangely enough, there were no holes on both sides this time. I don't know whether it is because of the double wrapping or the yarn being more fluffy and thicker. Yet, I found that I like the toes to be a bit more pointy, so I would do a few more short rows.
3) Rewriting of the ribbon pattern - I hope you can see the pattern on the sock clearly. I don't really like the lace in the original pattern. I think I would do a 2x2 ribbing instead.
So now, all is ready for the REAL casting on of my Socktoberfest socks. Since I've completed the back of Old Tile, I am allowing myself to take a day off from it and devote the time for the socks. Oh yes, Old Tile: