Friday, October 28, 2005

Knitting meme

I just read about this on Kathy's blog yesterday and it got to me last night already. I think this is the first meme directly knitting-related and I am glad to work on it.

What is your all time favorite yarn to knit with?
Right now, it's definitely Rowan KSH. Yes, it's mohair ... yes, lots of other knitters call it Crack Silk Haze ... but you can't deny the fact that it knits up into a beautiful lovely fabric that you just can't let go! But the fact is, I haven't tried a lot of yarns in my yet short knitting life. The yarns that I am definitely going to try are the yarn lines of Elsbeth Lavold.

Your favorite needles?
Now that I think about it, I haven't really knitted with straight needles! Maybe once or twice back when I first started many many years ago. Most probably it was because I found straight needles awkward to use and so like what EZ said, once I tried circular needles, "I never went back!" I am not too picky with needles and I find that they all have their own good. Among the ones that I have, I always check if I have what I need in my Denise set first when I start a project. I like the cords of Auddis a lot, but their points are disappointing. Oh yes, I love knitting socks with Crystal Palace bamboo DPNs.

The worst thing you've ever knit?
This would definitely go to a pair of fingerless gloves I made using LB Microspun. You can see a picture of it here. I like the lacy pattern ... the problem is with the yarn and my gauge. I used the yarn specified in the pattern, and my gauge was as specified too. However, the FO was just so floppy that they might even slip off my hands. This is also my problem with many yarns ... my gauge always tends to be smaller.

Your most favorite knit pattern? (maybe you don't like wearing it...but it was the most fun to knit)
At this moment, it is Kiri because it is of the right challenging level to me. I think this is very important to a knitter. We all need a certain level of challenge to keep us interested in what we are doing.

Most valuable knitting technique?
All the techniques are valuable to me ... but the one that most amazed me when I got it is tubular cast on. But I always love the "got it" moment.

Best knit book or magazine?
I would say it's Montse Stanley's Knitter's Handbook. You can basically find everything you need to know about knitting in this book.

Your favorite knit-a-long?
It's hard for me to choose between TownsendSocksKnitALong and Six Sox Knitalong. I like them both as I learned a lot about sock knitting and the patterns are beautiful.

Your favorite knitblogs?
I like a lot of knitblogs and I like them for various reasons, but if you have a pet, especially a cat, the chance is great that I am stalking your blog/pet! Actually I know many of the cats by their names! But seriously, I like to read about knitters' projects rather than yarn buying. If a blog contains more of the latter than the former, I would lose interest.
Right now, I like Anna's blog a lot. She is an aspiring knitwear designer whose style I like a lot. Personally, I think she has great potentials ... and she is just so lovely and beautiful!
Besides, I have a special attachment to knitblogs in Asia. The ones that I constantly read are Siow Chin, Joy, emy, Mimi, LauraY and Eva.

Your favorite knitwear designer?

I love cables ... so I like the designs of Alice Starmore and Elsbeth Lavold a lot. I also like the designs of Kim Hargreaves and Teva Durham.

The knit item you wear the most?
(how about a picture of it!)

This pair of socks is what I wear most. The cotton yarn makes it possible for me to wear them even during some days in the summer time. The Cascade Fixation yarn is quite hard wearing and also comfortable. For the summer tank tops and winter sweaters, since I haven't knitted too many yet, I actually wear them quite evenly. And of course this also tells you that I like them all. :)

Who to tag?
Mmm ... I'd like to tag Lynette since she is in a sort of knitting depression and I hope doing the meme could lift her mood a bit. I'd also like to tag Chris, whose blog I got from Lolly's post on her trip to Hawaii. This woman is just so funny that I'd like to know more about her. Lastly it would be Joy, another very humourous knitter who is going to knit a Kaffe Fassett sweater in KSH!!!
Actually, I certainly would like to tag Debi. However, given the present condition of her home (which was almost demolished by Wilma), I don't think it is a very good time. I have been thinking about her the whole week. She would not be able to post until she gets the power back, so I don't know how she is doing right now. But she is a strong woman ... who could turn the heel of a sock during the ordeal ... If you have a minute, perhaps you can hop over to her blog and send her some good karma. :)

1 comment:

candsmom said...

Those Cascade Fixation socks you made are amazing!! Just beautiful. And thanks so much for the tag! Unfortunately, my newbie knitting skills (and I use that term very loosely) are on par with the level of my Saturday Night Live life antics, so please don't expect much. Mine will probably end up being the knitting ghetto response! ;-)