Saturday, October 22, 2005

BCA Ribbon socks

So, I took another break from Old Tile. I did take things easy during the break and this is why it took me 2 days to finish the second sock. Yes! I finished my BCA (Breast Cancer Awareness) Ribbon socks for Socktoberfest!

I am very excited about this pair of socks as, though the pattern was inspired by Lisa Lloyd's Pink Ribbon Socks, basically I made up the pattern myself, including rewriting the ribbon chart. I quite enjoy the process of trying to figure things out, but I don't think I am the material for being a designer! Anyway, here are photos of the FO:



Here is a close-up of the ribbon pattern:



I don't think the rewritten chart is perfect, especially the top of the ribbon, which I'd like to be more rounded, but that was the best I can do now.

Details:
Pattern: My own toe-up version of Pink Ribbon Socks
1) I used Wendy's toe-up sock pattern and cast on with the Turkish cast on method.
2) The ribbon pattern was started with 14 stitches, then increased to 16 stitches and decreased again to 14 stitches at the end. In other words, I had 4 stitches more than the number I cast on throughout most of the leg part. Therefore, I replaced the lace pattern with 2x2 ribbing for the sections between the ribbon patterns so that the socks would fit more snuggly.
3) For the cast off, I tried EZ's sewn cast off but didn't like it ... maybe because it seemed to be more complicated to me. Therefore, I used Nancie Wiseman's picot bind off.
Yarn: Elann's Sock It To Me Esprit Col: 8699 Glacier Blue
Gauge and Needles: 32 stitches to 4" US2

I think it is time to return to intarsia. But since I have joined nona's Peaceful Palms KAL, the reward for my completion of the other front of Old Tile would be a glove project.

21 comments:

Debi said...

Lovely socks! I'm impressed how you re-worked them to make them "your" socks! Sock on, Auntie A!

grumperina said...

Those look so nice and comfortable! Love the color! Enjoy!

Allison said...

Great job! Those look like really squishy, comfy socks :)

Chrissy said...

Your socks are very purdy! I really like the color. They look sooooo comfy!

Ginger said...

Very pretty socks! Good job!

shelley said...

The socks look GREAT! I like the color too!

twig said...

They look great. Good job on reworking the pattern.

Mimi said...

Enjoy your comfy socks! They are very special since it's your own design!

caitlyn said...

Great socks!!! I like the design a lot.

Siow Chin said...

That was fast! And they do look super comfy and just right for the coming colder weather.

Heather said...

awesome - way to rework the pattern.


happy socktober!

nona said...

Your variation on the Ribbon Socks turned out really well! Your feet look comfy and stylish as all feet should. Keep going on the Old Tiles, you're getting so close!

Rebekah said...

Oh I love the socks, they are absolutely perfect!

Anonymous said...

Those look great! Nice job!
Sockbug

candsmom said...

Hi, Agnes! Your ribbon socks are just fantastic!! I like the way you re-worked the pattern and the color is beautiful. Your Old Tile is incredible, too. I get burnt out just thinking about how much work must go into it! :-) Thank you so much for all your kind comments, too. I'm so happy that I've found your blog! I'll be back again...;-)

Eilene said...

Your socks look great! I love the lenght & the color!

anna said...

wonderful socks! i've joined the peaceful palms KAL too, but not made a start yet.

JustApril said...

VERY nice, kudos to you for redesigning them yourself. Great fun.

Ruth said...

Those socks are blue-tiful! I've had my eye on that pattern for a while ... you did a great job.

Happy Socktober!

luvs2knit said...

I love the cables. Beautiful socks.

Laura said...

Cool socks! They look so soft and comfy.