Saturday, October 08, 2005

Amid the intarsia craziness of Old Tile ...

I somehow managed to have a quick and fast knit ... and thus an FO! How lovely is that? So, here friends, please meet Flora:


The situation was: I had to take the car for a smog check. Old Tile isn't really a suitable candidate of portable knitting ... but I surely wanted to take something with me. Flora is one of the patterns I tend to like in the latest issue of Knitty. A few weeks ago, Jo-Ann offered free shipping with the purchase of 8 or more balls of yarns. And I have been wanting to try out their exclusive new cotton and wool blend yarns. So, I ordered one ball each. It seemed that the Cosetta wool blend could work with Flora. It did.

Details:
Pattern: Flora designed by Kate Kuckro from Knitty Fall 2005
It is a very easy pattern but the outcome is quite lovely. For the button, I just picked one from what I have ... but would most probably use the leftover to make one following Glampyre's tutorial.
Yarn: Jo-Ann Sensations Bellezza Collection Cosetta Col: 2332 Red (68% Wool; 32% Nylon; 50g 128 yards)
I like the autumn tone colourway. The yarn is a little fuzzy and there are metallic specks throughout. This is not the softest nor the warmest yarn ... but for a fashionable accessory, it is good enough.
Gauge and Needle: 16 st to 4" using US10

Among the Jo-Ann yarns is a ball of 100% wool Tesoro ... now this one is really soft. I plan to make the Purly baby hat using this ... but it seems that the gauges are very different. So, I may have to make some adjustments.

Update on Old Tile: There are 128 stitches (on US3) for the back ... and I am now on Row 19 (I have to do a total of 158 rows). So, there is a loooooong way to go!

11 comments:

Mimi said...

What a lovely scarf! I like this design as it's just the right size to warm up the neck. I need to keep this project in mind. :)

Debi said...

Pretty lil ascot you got there Miss! Quick thinking for waiting room knitting pays off :)

I am completely in awe of your Old Tile....It's FABULOUS!!!!

Lolly said...

I am so tempted by those new yarns at Joann. Yours came out so well, and looks great! I may have to look at those yarns again :)

Laura.Y said...

that is oh so chic and cute! If i'm not living in the tropics, i'd have done that one too! Lovely!

Laura said...

I was thinking of knitting Flora, too! I like your version a lot with the subtle stripes.

Rebekah said...

Very cute, I'm thinking it'd be the perfect under your coat, scarf to really keep your neck warm. I may just have to check my stash and find a suitable yarn.

twig said...

How pretty! I have the perfect yarn for that! You've gotta quit doing all these cute patterns because I keep putting them on my already too long "to-do" list!

Lisa said...

OUTSTANDING. The scarf is beautiful. Great - another item on my list to knit.

Siow Chin said...

Lovely! It's one of my favourite designs from the current Knitty.

Ruth said...

That's so pretty ... it's going to look lovely under your fall coat.

Eilene said...

Beautiful!!! What a great addition to a wardrobe.