Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Sirdar Sweater Fini

This sweater didn't take me too long to finish. Unlike the Barnyard Guernsey Sweater, which I struggled for a long time to finish the sleeves, the sleeve island trip was a pretty short one this time. And here it is, modelled by Husband:


The fit is perfect. At first I was afraid the neck opening would be too small. But somehow he managed to pass his head through. I am really really happy with how this sweater turned out, especially with the set-in-sleeve-armhole (big salute to Ann Budd) and the tubular cast-off neckband (another salute to Montse Stanley):


Still, I can't achieve the very beautiful neckband I showed you some while ago ... I am still wondering what the secret is!

Details:
Pattern: Sirdar Leaflet 8337
Yarn: Lion Brand Cotton Ease Col:109 Blueberry Lot: 29430B
Modifications: I changed the dropped shoulder style into set-in sleeves with the help of Ann Budd's The Knitter's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns. If you measure accurately the size you aim at and swatch the yarns you're using, this book is a great help. I used tubular cast on for the body and simple long-tail cast on for the sleeves. Tubular cast off was used for the neckband to achieve added elasticity. Another great help Nancie Wiseman's The Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques for how to seam the sleeves to the body of the sweater.
Gauge and Needles: 20 stitiches to 4" using US6

Husband is actually one of my readers here. To compensate the lack of interesting pose last time, he was very cooperative last night. Therefore I can now present to you more sweater in action shots:


Which one do you like more, the thinker or the yogi warrior?

11 comments:

twig said...

*laugh* I love the extra poses almost as much as I love the sweater. I've stayed away from set in sleeves. Yours look great!

grumperina said...

Oh, I love it! It looks great, and it fits your husband very, very well. Such a simple shape, great look :).

Purly Whites said...

I love the warrior pose. Very fun!

The sweater is gorgeous! Your husband is very, very lucky.

nona said...

Great pictures -- I'd say your husband is quite the ham! The sweater looks wonderful on him. I particularly like your tubular cast off and will have to check out Montse Stanley's secrets.

Siow Chin said...

The sweater fits great! And your husband really is a great sport!

claudia said...

Nice job on the sweater. I like all the husband pictures...especially the ones with his "head".

;-)

Laura.Y said...

The sweater is a perfect fit. Great FO! I'll bet you had fun taking those pics! hehe Fun pics!

joy said...

I think your husband stole the show a bit from the sweater. What a funny guy! :D I love how the Thinker has a goofy face!!! Great job on the sweater!

Lauren said...

that looks great! i really like that pattern... i bet my man would like it too. Great job on it, Agnes ;)

Debi said...

Well done Agnes!!! Your man looks so handsome in his beautifil new sweater! Such beautiful knitting!

On the "very beautiful neckband" the secret is....
It's a folded over double collar. You can see where the zipper is sewn in between each layer. No special "techniques" to achieve that...just knit a collar twice as long, fold it over and slip stitch the live stitches to the inside neck...voila!! :)

Heather said...

that fits excellent...and it really turned out beautifully. flawless.

I love those pics! What a good sport! Lucky too getting that sweater