Wednesday, September 07, 2005

River

My first lace project - River - is finished! First, let me showcase the whole shawl with its rippling water pattern (photos courtesy of Husband):



The pattern is an easy one. I got the hang of it after the 3rd repeat and not too much frogging was needed. However, since I didn't use the knitted (lace) cast on, the beginning of the shawl tends to stretch more than the end, for which I used the ordinary cast off. When going through the pattern of Kiri, I found that Polly suggested a cast off method which I suppose would be better. But anyway, I have already cut off the yarn by that time, and it is not too bad as is, so I didn't redo the cast off.

Right from the beginning, I already decided that I was not going to knit that knotty thing. I didn't think I was going to wear the shawl in the way modelled in the magazine. How would I wear it?



I am not a shawl girl (yet) ... but I think I would start with wearing it the most common way. Perhaps I would look for a small pin to tie one end to the other side ... but definitely I don't like the idea of the knot. Besides, I would prefer the shawl to be wider, say having 5 repeats per row instead of 3. Maybe 2 balls of KSH was the limitation to the designer. I am already thinking if I have the time to spare, I would knit another River, a wider one, for my grandmother-in-law, using the same lace yarn I am now using for Kiri.

Details:
Pattern: River from Rowan 38
Yarn: Karabella Lace Mohair (61% Superkid Mohair, 8% Wool, 31% Polyamid) Col: 175 Charcoal
How does Karabella LM compare to Rowan KSH? I would say KSH is unique ... I have yet to find another mohair yarn that feels that soft and airy and halo-y. That being said, Karabella LM is also a very very soft one. Would I use it again? Sure ... because of the beautiful colour range and the "crazy yardage". Each 50g ball has 540 yards! And you guess how much I have as leftover?
Gauge and Needle: US7
One thing I like about this project is that I don't really have to care too much about the gauge. My shawl measures 13.5" wide and 50" long ... which is 2" narrower than specified in the pattern.

Finally, let me show you the magic of blocking:



However, I think I still have to learn how to pin out the end to achieve that pointed effect ... it seems all those points have disappeared by now!

30 comments:

Siow Chin said...

Beautiful!

joy said...

That's a very versatile color. I agree with wider, and longer too! Great job on your first lace project. :)

Debi said...

You look like a born "shawl girl" in that beautiful River!

You really did a great job!

Are you addicted? ;-D

wendy g said...

River looks beautiful!

marirob said...

Beautiful! I think it looks great!

Lauren said...

Agnes, it is LOVELY! I can't believe this was your first lace. What a successful way to start ;) I really like the color. You could always wear it as a scarf--try playing with a pin and see if you can pin it in a way you like. It does look good draped across your shoulders too!

Congrats on the lovely FO! :)

Harmonia said...

Great new pics! Neat shall! Thanks for the comments yesterday...more have been posted today and I think more will come later as well. Hugs

Rebekah said...

Oh she's so beautiful! I agree wider would be nice, but this is good to, maybe even a little more versatile.

Oh and on the 19 pairs, well I always just have to do things a little odd

kmckiernan said...

River is beautiful!!

savannahchik said...

It's gorgeous! And to read that it was your first lace project -- I'm impressed!

About those points. If you want the scallops like in the Rowan pic you'd have to pin out each scallop individually when blocking.

C said...

Pretty! It looks great on you.

grumperina said...

Looks wonderful, great job!!!

Diana said...

Beautiful! River looks fabulous. and you had nearly half a skein of Karabella mohair left?

Purly Whites said...

So gorgeous!! I love it.

Lisa said...

Oh I love it! I think I need to get Rowan 38-- I have a few balls of Kidsilk Haze in my stash crying out to be River. I have yet to finish my first big lace project, but you've given me confidence ;)

twig said...

How pretty! You did a GREAT job!

Shelley said...

It's beautiful Agnes! Doesn't it feel like a great accomplishment! I love the color too! And I'm with you a little bit more width is preferable, but you do look lovely in it!

Julia said...

Agnes, your River is gorgeous! I absolutely love it. This is just what I needed to get me back to my own!

Ruth said...

oh wow!! how stunning!! i think the way you wear it looks lovely. great job! you ought to wear it alot just to show it off. you will definately get alot of compliments!! =)

claudia said...

That is a lovely shawl. And you finished it in..what?...a minute?

Laura.Y said...

What can I say that the rest haven't :) Great FO, and so fast too.

SweetPeaknits said...

Fabulous. What a great job you did.

yahaira said...

great job, makes me anxious to finish mine.

Alison said...

Beautiful first lace project!

Donyale said...

V.impressed! It is my first lace shawl project too - you have spurred me on to keep going. Glad I am in the River KAL.

nona said...

Congratulations on finishing your first lace project -- it look beautiful!

kate said...

amazing job...and i NEVER would have guessed this is your first lace project. you should be very proud...it's beautiful!

letti said...

ooo. that's a charming piece

Heather said...

I'm a bit late -but really you did a superb job...it's gorgeous.

so impressed. Kiri is a breeze after this one!

KnitYoga said...

It's lovely! You did a great job!