Tuesday, September 20, 2005

River shrug and Attacks on the UFOs

First, let's have a use report on the River Stole. It made its debut on Saturday night when we went out to dinner with a French friend who just started his life here. Maybe it was the mohair, the stole actually sat quite well on the shoulders and seldom slipped down ... and I like this. Afterwards, we went to a bar for a drink. We sat in the outdoors where it was quite chilly. When the guys were chatting in French, I played with my stole. It was at this moment that I had the idea of changing it into a shrug ... which would protect my underarms from the chill better, I think.

So, back home, I did this:



What do you think? I just used white thread as a try. If the stole is of a stronger fabric, I can possibly use buttons so that it can be a shrug when needed; but the mohair lace seems not strong enough.

I didn't start any new project, not even socks. Still waiting for the sock muse to come. Instead, I have plans to attack my UFOs. My first target is the blue afghan. If I could finish Kiri in 2 weeks, there is no way I can't finish the remaining 40% of the afghan ... which means just 12 squares. So, over the weekend, I worked solely on it and this was what I got yesterday:



Now, I am into the 5th square. Just keep this up and I would finish this afghan soon! Yay! And the next target would be Bomber.

RAOK
Just want to show you the RAOKs I received:



On the left is an origami bird and a card from Maryellen ... she made the bird herself ... lovely, isn't it? Maryellen is a crafty lady. I got this from her back in June but didn't get to take picture until yesterday. Then on the right are gifts from Caitlyn. The Jo Sharp Kid Mohair is beautiful ... will look for a good pattern for them. The photo album ... I'm going to make a scrapbook album with our photos for my parents. Thanks to both ladies!

20 comments:

Ruth said...

River makes a lovely shrug ... I say if you think you'll get more use out of it this way, you have nothing to lose.

Toni said...

What a great idea. Although it may not support buttons, the yarn should be fine with snaps.

twig said...

That's a great idea if it will give you more use from it. My only concern would be the length of the "sleeves" I think it's pretty either way. (Not much help am I?) *laugh*

Purly Whites said...

I've got to tell you that I think River is lovely, but I'm not the biggest fan of it as a shawl or stole. But I LOVE it as a shrug. It looks fabulous that way!

Debi said...

I love your innovative conversion of River to an incarnation that suits your needs better! Brava :)

I know you have lots of that yarn left over...you could make I-cord ties for the front rather than buttons and you can even pick up stitches around the sleeves if you want to lengthen them!

It looks so lovely as a shrug!

Siow Chin said...

Hey, I think it is a great idea! No need to worry it sliding off your shoulders although you did mention the mohair already minimizes it this.

Laura.Y said...

Cool idea! I love the idea of the river stole becoming a shrug.

erin said...

Such a good idea to turn it into a lacey shrug. Your afghan looks interesting, lots of texture.

Liz said...

Wow, it looks great as a shrug! Not all poofy and impractical looking. Great idea!

I'm looking forward to seeing a photo of the whole afghan soon, it looks lovely and snuggly!

Lynette said...

You know, I saw something like this in Violet's store. It was a small shawl that could be converted to a shrug with a few buttons (had to turn the shawl upside down). I think it would work for yours too but probably not with buttons unless they are really small. Very pretty idea!

Lolly said...

that is a fabulous idea... it looks so great that way!

ck said...

How about using a pretty black satin ribbon to "lace" up the sleeves when you want to wear it as a shrug?

claudia said...

River! Shrug! Definitely do it. That is a cute, cute look on you.

nona said...

I love your "River Shrug", what a great idea. It's amazing what you can think of when you're sitting next to 2 guys you cannot understand! Keep going on that afghan, you'll be done before you know it.

Diana said...

River could be a really cute shrug! and much easier to keep on. go for it!

Julia said...

Cool idea! I like River as a shrug - very usable. And pretty!

Mimi said...

I really like River as a shrug. Keep that way!

Kellee said...

Yes, yes! Fantastic idea! I also like CK's idea of using a pretty ribbon to lace it into a shrug so that you can go back and forth with it.

Congratulations! It looks lovely.

kate said...

that's funny...as i was working on my own river this past weekend, i was thinking the same thing! it looks very cool on you as a shrug...i say go for it!

vabeachygal said...

anyone know where I could get the pattern for this shrug? I've been looking for one that I could knit with beads and sequins, this is just what I had in mind.