Friday, September 16, 2005

Kiri Shawl

The internet connection was messed up by the cable tv guy this morning, therefore I have to wait for Husband to call Comcast after work. Now it's back to normal and I can present my Kiri to you:


I thought I needed to work 20 repeats of Chart 2. But then when I was at the 18th, I tried the shawl on and found that it was indeed big enough even for me. So, I stopped and started the edging. I learned from the Yahoo! Kiri Group that in order to get the points on the edge, I need to cast off really loose. So, I went up to US10.5 and kept reminding myself, "Get loose ... get loose!" But still, as you can see, the points are not prominent and the edge is close to a straight one:


Yet, I am happy with the shawl as a whole. One thing I learned about myself from the knitting of River and Kiri is that I am not a chart knitter. The charts are good in that they give me an idea of how the patterns would look like, but for knitting, I didn't do very well from reading them. I went much faster knitting from the instructions. And yes, I did knit very fast with lace. This one took me less than 2 weeks to finish ... I don't know on average how long others take to finish Kiri, but less than 2 weeks is a surprise to myself too.

Details:
Pattern: Kiri by Polly
This is a little bit more complicated than River. However, once I understood how the previous rows were related to the knitting row, everything went easier ... I found it easier to detect any mistake early, and therefore it was easier to correct.

Yarn: Kettled Dyed Pure Wool Lace Yarn from handpaintedyarn.com Col: Vermillion
I almost used up a whole skein of 850 yards. I chose this lace yarn over KSH (which I love) because I am not sure if my MIL likes mohair. Also, the colour is what she would love. I think this yarn is not the extremely super soft type but is good enough for first time lace knitters, who want to have a try. Besides, the price is good. I love the thousands of colours available on their website. However, there are too many other choices available that I would like to try, for example, Zephyr (Jagger Spun) and Alpaca Cloud (Knit Picks), it may be a long time before I use this same yarn again. That being said, I still have one huge skein in the same colour.

Gauge and Needle: To be honest, I never did a swatch for both River and Kiri. I had no idea how to because the lace is so airy. But when I measured the pattern repeats, my gauge is 3" x 3" for 2 pattern repeats (before blocking) using US7. For cast off, US10.5 were used.

21 comments:

grumperina said...

It is beautiful! I'm glad you liked working with the yarn, the color is really nice. You should try Zephyr sometime for sure, and Alpaca Cloud is too cheap to put out of your mind ;)

caitlyn said...

Stunning!

Debi said...

Totally lovely Agnes! Your MIL will love it and it's a perfect size and color!

Don't fret the "points" they pretty much fade with wear for every shawl.

Lolly said...

It is absolutely stunning, Agnes! You are quite the FO queen lately too! You should be very proud--both Kiri and River are beauties!

Margaret said...

It's just simply gorgeous and it only took you about 2 weeks.
Love the look.

Siow Chin said...

It look fantastic, and it's huge, just how I like my shawls! I'm sure your MIL will be very pleased.

Liz said...

Your Kiri is beautiful! Nice job.

marirob said...

Beautiful Kiri! I can't believe how fast you finished it. I love the color too. Great job!

DK said...

She is just fantastic! Great job!

claudia said...

Very, very pretty. Those are also extremely cute pants you are wearing.

;-)

joy said...

That's such a great color. And you were so fast!! I think points look nice but then I can't imagine non knitting recipients would pin them out after washing.

twig said...

WOW! That's gorgeous and so fast! I'm in love with that color, too. You're getting me jealous!

anna said...

that is just stunning... now i want to make one in red for myself!

Shelley said...

Oh how beautiful. I so love the color too! Great job Agnes! Kiri has been on my list of want to do's for quite a long time. I've also had the great pleasure of meeting and hanging out with Polly in person. She's a fab knitter and designer.

Rebekah said...

Kiri definitely turned out quite stunningly.

Tess said...

Your Kiri looks beautiful. I just started mine last week and am on the 5th repeat and really enjoying the pattern. For me I'm more of a chart person so it is working for me.

Diana said...

Kiri is gorgeous! I can understand why you chose that color, its so rich and vibrant. Your MIL will love it!

Heather said...

lovely lovely lovely!

Just lovely.

Purly Whites said...

Oh, your Kiri is so fabulous!! You did an amazing job.

Lynette said...

Agnes, woman, you are definitely da bomb. Your shawls (or stole for River) are simply lovely works of art. And you've only been knitting for a year?? Unbelievable.

I just realized you tagged me so I'm going to do that now. I love reading your answers.

Laura.Y said...

Oh boy, your version really tops the cake. It is by far the biggest and most striking one I've seen! Gasp! and 2 weeks. Gosh mine took me like 3 mths and it wasn't even as big as yours! The color is vividly fantastic and suits you to a T. You are gonna get lots of compliments wearing this one out.