Sunday, September 25, 2005

How much do you like finishing?

How was your weekend? Remember the French friend I mentioned last week? Since he still hasn't got his own computer yet, Husband helped him to set up a web-cam on our computer so that he can talk to his wife through MSN messenger. Not much privacy there, as you can imagine, but it was better than just talking on the phone. Three more weeks and his wife and kids would come join him. In the afternoon, we went to Santa Cruz beach. It is not our most favourite beach since it is always too crowded (because of the beach-side Boardwalk Park), but it is beautiful nonetheless:


And I saw the cutest coconut tree I've ever seen so far:



Up to this point, you must be thinking, "Mmm ... she's been talking about something else ... she's not been knitting this weekend." Well, you are darn right ... I didn't do much knitting ... but I've been finishing! All the knitting for the afghan squares were finished last Friday and they are now sewn together:


I was too excited to start sewing that I didn't even block the pieces. Last time it was a nightmare for me to sew up all the squares for the afghan ... but this time it just went a lot more smoothly. Knitting in long stripes is certainly a good idea as I only have to sew up vertically five stripes, therefore no more thick and clumpsy joints like last time. However, this is not an FO yet because I still have to add an edging to the whole thing. Last time I crocheted the edge:


It is nice and crocheting is fast and easy. However, considering that most of the squares of the new afghan are texture-patterned, an edging that is less "lacy" would be more suitable. And I found this from Nicky Epstein's Knitting Over the Edge (a lovely and inspiring book, if you ask my opinion!):


As suggested in the book, this edge can be knitted on or sewn on separately. I tried the first and found the result not too satisfactory. So, I would be knitting the edge separately and sew it on later. Considering the length that I have to knit, I think it is not inappropriate to regard it as an independent project ... LOL!

11 comments:

claudia said...

Agnes, sewing on that edging will likely be a major pain in the butt. But it is awfully pretty.

Mimi said...

Your post today took me back to the old days. It remembered me of the time I took my little boys to Santa Cruz Beach. You are right, the beach is rather a busy place.
Your blue afghan looks so cozy! I'll keep in mind, the tip of knitting long stripes as I don't enjoy sewing either.

joy said...

I love the colors of your afghan, and the edging would be perfect, though I don't fancy sewing that on either. Good luck with it! :)

Siow Chin said...

Wow, congrats on finishing it! Just in time for fall. The edging will look great with the afghan.

erin said...

Your afghan looks good and it hasn't even been blocked or edged. I like the colours and the textures too.

Karen said...

What a pretty afghan! I really like the edging you picked out too. Are you keeping it for yourself?

Laura.Y said...

Love it! The colors and the whole thing. It looks so much like something I'd love to snuggle in on a cold day! The edging will look so gorgeous with it.

Purly Whites said...

Your Afghan is fabulous! Good luck with the edging.

Debi said...

Gorgeous afghan!! The edging you chose will be perfect...an heirloom to keep forever!

Lynette said...

The color combinations on the afghan are pretty - soothing and calm.

In answer to your title/question, I don't like finishing very much. Not a good task for an impatient person.

Fall is one of the best times to be in the Bay area, the weather is really good.

twig said...

Pretty afghan! Good luck with that edging. I dislike finishing.

BTW, my husband DOES like the vest -- but despite my measuring as I went it's TOOO BIG! I'll be frogging this weekend.