Monday, August 15, 2005

Weekend project

Husband had to work a lot during the past weekend, so except going to the Saturday farmers' market, we mostly stayed home. (Yeah, he basically can work from home through the internet and the company's server.) This meant lots of knitting time. Somehow I lost some motivation for the sweaters, so I looked for something small and fun to work on.

Some time ago, I got this book from a secondhand bookstore and have since wanted to make Three for the Road ... because I think the bag looks really cool. I searched in my stash to find something to use. I finally decided on using the leftovers (almost 2 skeins!) from my first sweater. I could have used them for a scarf if the yarn weren't so itchy to my skin. A bag would be perfect for itchy wool! A fast knit, indeed. On Saturday night, I got this:



My experience of using unfelted knitted bag is that it had better be lined ... otherwise, the weight of the stuff you put inside would pull the fabrics down, making the bag out of shape. So, my mission this week is to find a zipper and some lining fabrics to finish the bag. I don't have a sewing machine and am not planning to buy one yet, so everything has to be hand sewn ... a new advanture to me!

Update on mammography: Received the result on Saturday - "Congratulations! Everything looks normal ... see you next year." YAY!

10 comments:

Debi said...

Best news I heard all day, Agnes!! Woot!!

Love the bag too!!

claudia said...

YAY!

Lynette said...

That's great news! What a relief. Cool bag.

Laura.Y said...

Glad to hear that! And the bag is cute!

Shelley said...

Great news! Good luck on your new adventure. Ugh, sewing. I don't even like doing it and I have a machine.

Siow Chin said...

I feel glad for you! And I love knitted bags. And what you said about the lining is very true.

Ruth said...

glad to hear of the news!
and about lining bags - yea, i agree as well. i've purchased my very first sewing machine (should be arriving via amazon any day now!!) but until then, i've been handsewing all my linings. =P

joy said...

Great news!

Even though I have a sewing machine, I still like to attach zips to knits by hand.

Tracy said...

Very pleased to hear the news, waiting niggles away at you doesn't it? The bag looks like it will be a great addition, good luck with the sewing!

Heather said...

congrats on the mammo...that is great news!

I love the bag...and The lining will make is sooo much better. Even with felted bags...i like the lining. needles tend to poke through!