Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Karabella River

So everyone is talking about how disappointed they are with Rowan 38. Maybe it is my first time getting the magazine in the mail, I quite enjoy reading through it ... or maybe it is because of this:


no no no ... not the model, not the vest, but the background floral wallpaper. It reminds me of my grandfather's (mother's side) home. It was a pre-WWII building in Hong Kong and the walls were covered with gift wrapping papers (yes, you read it right!) with patterns of roses and peonies (popular in the 60s) ... similar to those you see in the Rowan pic. I had spent a lot of my childhood in that home, spending holidays with my grandfather. Now the building has been demolished to give way to newer taller buildings and my grandfather was long gone, this photo suddenly brought back a lot of memories.

There are a couple of things I'd like to make from the magazine. I would include Pandora if it doesn't require 2 different yarns ... which is something I don't really like. But availability of yarn in the stash very often determines my readiness to start a project. So, using the Karabella lace mohair I have, I cast on for River the past weekend. Now, I am at the 3rd pattern repeat:


It is interesting that I didn't see the pattern very clearly just by holding up the piece ... until now when I look at the photo! At some point I was really worried if I was knitting correctly. This is my first really lace project. So, when I read the pattern instructions which said "use the lace method to cast on ...", I had no idea what it was. After consulting Miss Stanley, I used the simplest loop cast-on and it seems to be the way to go:


However, I think I may have to put River on hold because I am waiting for Rowan's reply to my inquiry as to whether there are beads in the body of the shawl.

Other knitting updates: Summer is slipping silently away ... instead of setting at 8:40 p.m., the sun now sets at 7:40 p.m. So, I picked up the speed on the navy sweater. I hope that when it comes to the late summer time, it would be ready for Husband. Also, I have finished the left front of Bomber:



See that? Bomber is a real challenge, with the zipper front and pockets. I find that sometimes, Rowan patterns require a high level of common sense from knitters. Other than how to place the pockets, there is nothing on how to finish them! I think I can figure that out later.

13 comments:

mrspilkington said...

both projects are looking beautiful! i can't believe that's your first lace project. wow!

Diana said...

River is looking great, the pattern shows up nicely! I was thinking about using this yarn for my River, as I have it stashed too, but in the end decided to try KSH.

twig said...

The River is gorgeous. I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to use such a "furry" yarn in case I had to frog.

I love the Bomber.

I can't wait to see both finished!

claudia said...

I do like that River pattern....

marirob said...

Your River is turning out so pretty! I'm looking forward to starting mine too!

joy said...

The beads are just for the knot so keep knitting! I think River makes a great first lace project!

Lynette said...

River is quite pretty. Like that mohair you're using for it.

Debi said...

Your River is lovely! Impressive for a first lace!

BTW, the "lace cast on" is: with a slip stitch as the first stitch on the left needle, knit into the first stitch and place the newly knitted stitch back on the left needle...knit into the new stitch, again placing the newly formed stitch back on the left needle...

It's just like the cable cast on but you knit into each stitch, not inbetween stitches.

Is this clear as mud? :)

All your knitting is lovely and now I think you're gonna be addicted to lace just like me!

Pumpkin sends furry kisses Auntie Agnes!

Siow Chin said...

River looks fantastic in black!

Liz said...

That lace shawl is gorgeous! I would never have guessed it was that pretty from the photo! You're doing a wonderful job! Thank you for reminiscing about your Grandfather's home with us. I am often reminded of rather obscure things by smells, or colours. It's amazing how our minds make such connections.

Happy knitting Agnes!

Julia said...

I like this issue of Rowan. It's not quite as "wearable" as others, but there is no shortage of inspiration. River looks beautiful. I had to frog back a little, but am progressing slowly!

Lauren said...

How neat that that picture brought back the memories for you... I like the idea of using gift paper on the walls!

Your River is off to a smashing start! it is SO pretty! ;)

Becky said...

I haven't seen the latest Rowan in person yet, but the thumbnails online look interesting!