Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Another weekend project ... this time an FO

So, when I was done with the knitting part of Three for the Road, I was looking for something new to knit on Sunday. I didn't want to start another pair of socks yet. Ever since I received this welcoming kit from Rowan, I had wanted to start on it. So it became my Sunday project.

I am such a big big sucker for Rowan's KSH. Show me anything made with KSH, I would think it is beautiful ... but I am not too far away from the truth, I think. I love the yarn so much that I didn't even feel a bit of agitation when I had to frog twice. Oh yes, and I am quite good at frogging KSH without much drama. The first time I had to frog because I was just too greedy. Instead of knitting the 90cm specified by the pattern, I made it to 120cm ... totally underestimated how much yarn the ruffled edge would take. When I came to the third round of the first side of the edge, I had to admit my mistake and frog the scarf back to 95cm. The second time was when I was binding off the second side of the edge, I found that it didn't ruffle as much as the first side. I thought it was because instead of picking up one stitch per row, I did 3 stitches per 4 row. So, there I went again ... frog ... frog ... frog ... This is also why I could only finish the scarf last night, instead of Sunday night. The scarf itself was easy to work on. What surprised me was how much time the ruffled edge would take me.

I love love love this scarf. I joined Rowan International because of this. The ruffled edges make the scarf ultra feminine. I don't think I would make Ruffles from Scarf Style ... because that thing resembles chicken intestines too much (sorry if the image is a bit gross to you ... but I am Chinese, who are used to seeing chicken intestines!). But used as an accent to the scarf, I think they are wonderful.


Yarn: Rowan Kidsilk Haze Col: 600 Drewberry
Pattern: Froth Scarf designed by Eleanor Yates exclusively for Rowan
Needles: US8
Finished measurements: 10cm x 95cm excluding the ruffled edge

The scarf as shown in the photos was unblocked. I am wondering if I have to block it. What would you do? Do you think it needs blocking?

Have I told you that I felt like a queen when working with KSH?

17 comments:

twig said...

Oh how pretty! I've been thinking about joining Rowan, too. So the "project" they send comes with yarn too? I may have to join once we get the insurance brouhaha cleared up.

claudia said...

I'm not much of KSH blocker. I think it looks fine as is.

grumperina said...

Lovely scarf! It's very unique, and you did a great job with it.

Eva Shiu said...

It is beautiful and the colour is gorgoerus !

Toni said...

You can see the pattern quite well without blocking so save yourself a step. Wonderful!

joy said...

I extended my subscription for the KSH too! :D The scarf is very pretty but I've got other plans for my yarn. ;)

Laura.Y said...

Lovely! I'm still wondering what to do with my KSH. But I'm taking a break after Ksh Kiri. LOL

Lauren said...

Very pretty Agnes! I have never worked with KSH, but I got some last night, so I am excited about casting on ;)

Love the ruffles--it is so lovely and feminine! I bet you are wishing fall/winter was here so you can wear it more often!

Liz said...

That color is so pretty on you Agnes! That is a lovely scarf just the way it is, bit if you were to block it, I would only block the very inside rectangle and leave the ruffles to be more natural, I'm afraid though that if you block it too much you'll lose some of the ruffliness... Hard choice, beautiful scarf. :)

Lynette said...

Pretty, pretty, pretty. You are queen of Rowan knitting. I think of you whenever I go through the Rowan Treasury of Handknits.

Ruth said...

wow, so pretty!! it looks great just as is!! the ruffles really make it lovely and i love the color.

Debi said...

What a beautiful scarf!! It looks lovely on you (but you shouldn't cut off your beautiful face!!)

I think it looks perfect as it is!

I wish I knew how Rowan decides on their subscriber gifts...I got the Kaffe Fasset pillow kit which was nice but I *really* wanted the Linen Drape....this time I got 3 skeins of Cork (I live in FLORIDA!!) when I really wanted KSH!! Sheesh!! I think I'm gonna have to let my subscription lag so I can get the good second half of the year gift!

Pumpkin told me he sends kitty hugs and kisses to his "auntie agnes" :)

Siow Chin said...

I have yet to try KSH. Maybe I should keep it like this, lest I start to fall for it.

Heather said...

Great job!

I love the color. I'm such a wuss...I gave up knitting with the KSH because of the ripping! I just needed your expertise!

have a great weekend sweets!

Annie said...

Your scarf is gorgeous! I've got to make one!!!

Laura said...

That's a gorgeous scarf! I love the purple color. One of my very favorite colors. So pretty!

I agree about the ruffles scarf. I would knit it for someone else but after what you said I could never knit it for myself. It really does look like intestines! lol!

Mitchypoo said...

Love, love, love your scarf! BEEEOOOOUUUUTTTIIIF
FFFUUULLLL! Now i know my next project, after i find the pattern!