Monday, July 18, 2005

The Manos Love Affair

It all started with 2 balls of Lion Brand Landscape, without a purpose, purely impulsive purchase. Then I read that someone made my so-called scarf using this. I have loved this scarf pattern for a long time, so I thought I could give it a try. What was better, I thought I could give it to my niece for Christmas. The Landscape did knit up beautifully in terms of colours:


However, using US13 needles has been a torture to me! I was already using the Denise set, but my hands just felt so very tired. 4" into the scarf I already lost steam to continue ... as well as the love for this yarn. 1 ball was used, so I returned the unused one to the shop. But I still wanted to make the scarf. Part of the charm of the scarf on me is the photo - the colourway of the yarn is so beautiful! So, last Friday, I went to Commuknity in San Jose because I knew for sure they sell Manos. It is a very nice shop with a large living room which makes you feel at home. I was browsing around the shop leisurely ... all the time seeing the Manos wall opposite the living room. I was a bit disappointed because the colourways of the skeins hung there were not too impressive on me. Finally, I went up to the wall to have a closer look ... and that was the moment ... among the very deep colourways was a lonely skein of Manos 113 ... Wildflowers ... I was in love!

10 minutes later, it was mine. That same night, I cast on for the scarf ... with the terrible realization that all this time I had misread the yarn requirement. I always thought it was only using 1 skein. This one skein was the only one in the shop! I tried my luck by casting on 24 stitches instead of 30 and got a slimmer and shorter scarf, which I would call "The Manos Love Affair Scarf":



Pattern: my so-called scarf from sheep in the city
Yarn: Manos del Uruguay Col: 113 Wildflower
Finished measurements: 4" by 34"
Needle: US10

In case you are wondering, yes, I'm going to keep this scarf for myself! I'll look for something else for the little girl.

I'd like to end this post by introducing you to one of my little buddies:


Usually, they are extremely fast and quiet. Last week, I managed to capture this little guy while he was feasting on the nuts I put on the fence. Actually, I interrupted his meal ... as 2 seconds later, he was gone!

10 comments:

grumperina said...

You're right, the colorway is gorgeous! I'm glad you're keeping it for yourself :).

Toni said...

Ooh, lovely colors!

opportunityknits said...

I like the scarf pattern too and you got the perfect yarn for it. Yes, keep it, it looks fabulous!

claudia said...

Very pretty use of the variegated yarn.

Laura.Y said...

We were eyeing the same thing! Only..:\ I can't use the yarns cause I'm in the tropics. I was so tempted by that scarf pattern too but I have no where to wear a scarf over here....:) So it's really nice to see someone knit it. Dun worry, I have a suspicion your little friend will be back.

Laura said...

That's a beautiful scarf! That will be keeping you very warm this fall and winter. lucky you!

Anonymous said...

I too live in San Jose. You should try Yarn Dogs (www.yarndogs.com) in Los Gatos. They opened around the same time as Commuknity and they have a large selection of Manos.

Diane

nona said...

Love your scarf -- the stitch pattern highlights the beautiful Manos yarn. I'm glad you're keeping it for yourself!

Lori said...

i have got to do that pattern sometime. it's been on my todo list quite a while as well. plus, I even have a couple skeins of manos i bought on a lark at stitches to use :)

Knit Chick said...

I've been wanting to do that scarf for a while now. I love how yours turned out.