Wednesday, June 15, 2005

What have I done?!

If you are expecting to see an FO in this post, I am afraid to say that you'll be disappointed. I know it is about time for faye to be finished ... indeed it was THIS much near the end when I suddenly got a crazy bug in my head and did something dump and stupid!

I was in the process of sewing the buttons to the vest. The buttons were heart-shaped and I would like them to stay more or less in the same direction. So, it took me some time to figure out how to do it right. When I finally got it at the third one, I returned to the first which was a bit upside down. I was using the cotton yarn as the sewing thread ... and this is what caused the problem. I was already very very careful in discerning the sewing thread from the neckband. When I came to the final knot, I thought I got it ... and there my scissors went! And of course, I cut the yarn in the neckband! :(

I didn't think there was a better solution to this other than knitting the neckband again. The mishap happened around midnight last night. I was just too tired to do anything else but cursing myself! Luckily, I am now much faster in picking up the stitches for bands, which I think is the most time-consuming task in finishing.

Talking about knitting the bands, since there is no instruction for the armhole bands, I did some trial-and-error with them. The instructions for the neckband ask for picking up 54 stitches in the front neck. So, I started with 75 stitches respectively for the front and back side of the armhole, which I knew beforehand was too many since it was almost like picking up 1 stitch per row. But it was good to see how it really turned out:


You can see that the band is flaring away from my arm. Therefore, I estimated halfway between 54 stitches and 75 stitches would be a nice number. I settled with 64 and it looks like this:

9 comments:

Karen said...

Well it seems you have figured out how to make things work out for you. I think you will design your own sweater before the year is out Agnes. I love the color of faye. It suits you well!

Mimi said...

I am sorry to hear the mishap! Hopefully by now you are happy and posting Faye soon for us to enjoy. :)

claudia said...

I feel your pain. You did the right thing by re-knitting.

joy said...

Yikes. I did that once too and afterwards I was always extra, super careful!! Great armhole bands. I can't believe they left out the instructions! If it helps at all, I usually pick up 3 st for every 4 rows, that USUALLY works out fine.

Siow Chin said...

Just take it as practice. Maybe you'll feel better. I, too, usually pick up 3 stitches for every 4 rows. Anyway, I think the 64 sts look great.

Peggy said...

Just THIS close to finishing... add oil, add oil. I am sure you can do it!

Laura.Y said...

eaoouch! That's gotta hurt. But you are doing very well with the band..:)

Maggie said...

Hi Agnes :) I popped over from Karen's blog (Ka' Knits). You've done a beautiful job on your vest. I can't wait to see it complete with the heart-shaped buttons!

ShelbyD said...

Sorry to hear about your band mishap! Good luck with the buttons.