Sunday, May 15, 2005

Would you frog again?

The Cabled Vest is now in blocking mode ... not too picture-worthy, but if you really want to have a look, click here. Ever since I used the purling method of Combined Knitting, I have been pondering the possibility of the front and back pieces of various sizes. Well, I was quite sure they would be ... and the question of whether I should frog the back and knit it again had been bugging me. How about you? Would you frog again? Honestly, I've had enough of this yarn and am quite happy that the project is nearing the end. So, even though the back is really a little bit wider and longer:


I decided to go ahead with the blocking. We'll see how it eventually turns out, I think, in a few days' time ... cotton takes a long time to dry!

In the meantime, I'm playing with the Lion Brand Cotton Ease. The suggested gauge on the label is 17 stitches + 24 rows = 4" using US8. However, I am happier with the drape of 20 stitches + 28 rows using US7. If I go down to US6, I may even get a gauge of 23 - 24 stitches. I think this gives more possibilities to the yarns.

5 comments:

opportunityknits said...

I'm knitting All Seasons cotton now which has the same gauge as cotton ease. And I'm knitting it with 3.5 mm needles and getting 20 X 28, and you are right, I prefer it. I have another top knitted with the ASC at 17 X 24 and I find the stitches too loose.

Mimi said...

Agnes, don't frog... it's all sewn up and ready for you to wear. I believe the blocking should even up the stiches. It's time for a new project, right?

Laura.Y said...

Wouldn't it be such a waste to frog it? Try blocking first?

claudia said...

You know, differing backs and fronts may not be bad. For example, I have a friend with a very small back (in width) and when making something for her I intentionally made the back smaller than the front to fit her body type. I'd block it and mock up the seams and try it on before deciding to rip.

Liz said...

Don't Frog! Don't do it! It won't be noticable when you wear it, and I actually like a little more room in the back of my sweaters to accomodate movement with more ease. I think it will be very comfortable.