Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Hooray! short rows!

As you can see from my last post, I've been doing my homework on short row shoulder shaping. Most of what I found tell me how to do short rows, but I need something more specific. It turns out this article from Knitty is exactly what I need - how to change the original pattern's shoulder bind-off into short row shaping. So, I thought I should start practising ... by ripping the back piece!

I am not sure if I did everything correctly, but the most important thing is I got a slanting shoulder without rugged steps:



I left the shoulder stitches on holders because I would like to try the 3-needle bind-off as well. Besides the Knitty article, I also found this video from Knitting At KNoon Designs very useful.

erin asked if the Itty Bitty Bears were difficult to knit and sew up. Well, I have never found myself more like Edward Scissorhands than when knitting these bears! Imagine all the dpns with at most 5 stitches on them! The most challenging thing is knitting the "[k1f&b]2 times, k1 all in same st" ... I cheated and employed the help of a steel crochet hook! For sewing up, there are only 2 places to sew up and the rest is just weaving in the long tails of the limbs. But ... yes, it's been fun working on this distraction.

4 comments:

opportunityknits said...

Thanks for the crochet hook tip. I read the pattern last nite and may just attempt one of these.

grumperina said...

Short rows for shoulder shaping and a three-needle bind off is *the way to go*! Some knitters will try to tell you that it's not as sturdy, or not as reliable, but that's a bunch of phooey. It is fantastic, it is easy, and the results are beautiful. Congratulations!

Mimi said...

Agnes, thanks for the short row shoulder shaping video. Need to try the method one of these days. I also love to do the 3 needle bind-off, it comes out neatly for me.

Lynette said...

Hey, if you are also going to do the sleeves top down and using short rows for the cap, I would be very interested in your technique. Great job on the armhole shaping.