Friday, May 13, 2005

Freedom! (well, partly)

Last month, when it was Karen's birthday, she received a load of cable needles as birthday presents. I wondered why she needed so many little cable needles. Well, I understand now! These little tools turn out to be extremely elusive ... I am actually partly responsible for this ... every time after twisting the cable, I just let it drop wherever it likes, and the 'wherever' turns out to be the various crevices of the sofa, the little space between the cushion and the chair or even the pockets of my jeans! I spent a good portion of my knitting time on looking for it! Not anymore! Thanks to Wendy, I am now largely liberated from the contraint of cable needle. Why not completely? I have yet to figure out how to work the '6-st RPC' and '6-st LPC' sans cable needle. Go here for Wendy's wonderful tutorial.

Book Meme
I was tagged by joy and erin on the book meme. I agree with erin that it is a thought provoking exercise. So, here is mine.

Total number of books in your house
Does this include magazines? Let's say we exclude magazines. Both Husband and I are transplants to the States, so we don't possess too many here, though the number has increased quite a bit in the last year or so. I would say just around or less than 100. Most are computer programming books belonging to Husband. Some are books I brought with me from Hong Kong (among them the 3 chinese books that I'm going to talk about later!) I don't have too many cookbooks ... most of them are magazines. But I do have a copy of The Great Book of French Cuisine by Henri-Paul Pellaprat.

Last book bought
I just placed an order for Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitting Workshop. I am reading her Knitting Without Tears and I like her sense of humor and personality ... and of course a lot can be learned from her experiences. I once saw a copy of Knitting Workshop in a second-hand bookshop marked $50! I think that's a precious first edition. So, when I saw that KnitPicks carries this book, I placed an order immediately. It's on its way now.

Last book read
Mmm ... that would be before I took up knitting. Reading and knitting are actually competitors for my time now. I am not sure about this, but I think it is Reliquary by Douglas J. Preston and Lincoln Child. This is a sequal to The Relic, which I like better. I love reading mystery and detective thrillers.

5 (or 6) books you often read or that mean a lot to you
First I must apologize to those of you whose native language is not Chinese. Some of the following are Chinese books and I tried to offer short excerpts.

18 Springs by Eileen Chang - As suggested by the title, this is a story about love and fate, which spans over a period of 18 years. I have read this book at least 5 times and every time I ended up with teary eyes.

First Half of My Life by Yik Shu - This is not serious literature, but rather pulp fiction in Hong Kong. But I got some good education about marriage and self-improvement as a woman from this book. This is a story about a middle-age woman who suddenly found herself divorced and without any resources for earning a living, and how she learned to survive and lived much better than when she was married.

A Chance of Sunshine a.k.a. Turn Left, Turn Right by Jimmy - I am a hopelessly romantic person who would easily be attracted by hopelessly romantic stories like this. Jimmy is a famous illustrator in Taiwan and Turn Left, Turn Right is my most favourite book of his. It is a pity that his site still doesn't have English version, but if you want to have a look at his drawings, here are some I got from his site:



The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas - I read this book in Chinese translation when I was in high school and was fascinated by the plot of love and revenge. We may think revenge is sweet but love is always more powerful. When I was here in the States, I checked it out again from the library, this time the English version, and I still love it.

King Lear by William Shakespeare - Largely due to the guidance of my literature teacher in high school, I started to appreciate the power of Shakespeare's writings from my study of King Lear. The most impressive scene on me is Gloucester trying to end his life by jumping from the highest cliff in Dover, and later was convinced that the gods had spared his life and that he should endure his sufferings. We never know how much we love our lives until after we think we've lost them.

Tagging 3 others? Emily, Megann and Karen.

1 comment:

opportunityknits said...

I wish I could read Chinese too. Thanks for the links to Jimmy - those are lovely illustrations. I have never seen his books before - are they only in Chinese, maybe that's the reason why.