Friday, May 13, 2005

Favourite Things and Book Meme Part 2

While reading other people's 10 favourite things lists, I found that there is a second part. So, I'm adding mine here.

5 Things that I may or may not have done before that I'd like to learn or try again
To fly an airplane - I have a little bit of fear of heights, but I would really like to experience being a pilot ... exciting!

Parachuting - from time to time, we may read about the birthday present for a 90-year-old lady is parachuting ... I'd like to try that, but maybe not now ... my heart jumps a bit when thinking about it!

To be an actress - not those you see in movies, but one performing on stage in a play. Some friends of mine said that I have some talents in acting but I never have any proper training, nor any chance in exploring this side of me.

To drive Husband's car - it's in manual gear and I have never learned to drive one. I don't think he would use his car to teach me, but I sure do hope to be able to drive her some day. (BTW, she's a monster on the road!)

Rock climbing - never really tried this ... but I think it would be fun. If possible, I'd like to climb a real mountain instead of just a wall.

Husband always says I have an adventurous spirit, can't you tell?

After publishing the Book Meme, I kept beating myself for forgetting 4 other books that mean a lot to me. Yeah, 4 more ... so I think perhaps I should add one more and make it a list of 10! Here you go:

Le Petit Prince by Antoine de St-Exupéry - I've only read this in English ... but I always hope one day I can read the French version.

The Missing Piece, The Missing Piece Meets the Big O and The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein - These seem to be books for kids, but I enjoy them a lot and find them very thought-provoking and inspiring. I highly recommend the official site because there are all sorts of fun stuff for kids and you can find all information on his books there.

Dream of the Red Chamber by Tsao Hsueh-Chin - This is another classic Chinese novel. I've read it 2 or 3 times and I believe it is a book which you can learn something new every time you read it. Though it seems to be a love story, I learned a lot about the intricacies of human relationships from the way the characters interact with each other. If you are interested, you can have a look at an English, shorter illustrated version of the novel.

2 comments:

joy said...

Wow, you really do have an adventurous spirit. The closest I'd come to your list is probably the car. I like 'The Giving Tree' too but I haven't read 'Dream of the Red Chamber', should get cracking with that one. :)

Shelley said...

The Count of Monte Cristo is one of my all time favorites too. Although in Chinese woo...tough! You MUST try rock climbing. I was lucky to learn during my college days at WVU. One of my favorite things to skip class for!