Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Cabled Vest Finished

First and foremost, some pictures:



While taking the pictures, I suddenly felt naughty and imitated Becky's rabbit dance. I just had to move a bit because today's weather is certainly not good for wearing a cotton sleeveless tank ... it's windy and rainy and I was just freezing!

Details:
Yarn: Filatura Di Crosa Mirto Col: 11 Icy Blue
I got the yarns from Elann originally for another project ... which didn't quite work out for me. This is my first cotton project and I think I've come to understand this fiber a little bit more. Most cotton yarns split like hell ... but Diana said that Rowan 4-ply cotton doesn't split at all. I've worked with Cotton Glace and it doesn't split either. Maybe Rowan has a secret with their cotton! Also, it was a bit disheartening to find that the pieces felt so floppy after being soaked through in water. I actually wondered if I was going to wear that! However, after being dried flat, the texture of the pieces improved a lot ... even better than when they were just knitted. So, patience is a must with cotton.

Gauge and size: The gauge in the originally pattern is 24 stitches + 30 rows = 4". My gague is 26 stitches ... forgot the row gauge. So, I chose to knit the 39" bust size and the acutal sewn up bust measures 35". (Kathy was right, you have to disclose your measurements sooner or later if you keep a knitting blog!)

The Pattern: It was from VK Spring/Summer 2005 Pattern 14. I just discovered that the designer was Kathy Zimmermann ... is she related to Elizabeth Zimmermann? The pattern is basically very straightforward and easy to follow. There is a chart for the cable pattern. Given the bad reputation of VK in pattern correctness, I was lucky that there is only one minor mistake in the chart (the cable twist in Row 12 should belong to Row 11) and common sense can help.
Since the neck felt a little bit tight already before the neckband, I used the larger needle for the neckband and the smaller needle to bind off. I would like the armholes to be tighter, so I used the smaller needle to knit the armhole bands. It took me quite some time to figure out the even distribution of stitches to pick up around the neck and armholes.

I am so happy that this project is finally done. During the process, I learned a lot ... combined knitting, short row shoulder shaping, cabling without needle (BTW, I still have to look for my cable needle!) ... and the FO fits! The weather forecast says that Friday would be a sunny day ... it would be my Cabled Vest's debut day too!

19 comments:

Lauren said...

I was just looking at this pattern this weekend... yours turned out absolutely fabulous! I love the detail work, and the white yarn really shows the cables well. You should wear it everyday to show off your awesome craftiness--great work!

Lolly

Diana said...

You did such a nice job, the cables look excellent. And with a splitty cotton yarn?? wow.

grumperina said...

Looks gorgeous, congratulations. The size seems just right for you. I, too, have wondered if Kathy Zimmermann is related to my idol, EZ. Again, congratulations!

Renee said...

A big thumb's up to you! It turned out great!

froggyknits.com said...

wow, looks fantastic!

joy said...

Great job! Looks perfect on you!

Lynette said...

Excellent job! Isn't it cool that a sweater you "experimented" on turned out so well?

I'll have to keep your comment about working with cotton in mind. Patience is required but is in short supply...

Eilene said...

Agnes...she looks fabulous! Congratulations & enjoy wearing her on Friday for her debut!! ;-)

Mimi said...

The vest looks really nice and fits you so well! Are you already searching your next project? :)

Eva Shiu said...

The cable vest looks great on you ! Good work !

Megann said...

Absolutely gorgeous!!

Rebekah said...

Great job on the vest, it's really quite stunning!

Becky said...

What a beautiful garment. Dance, dance! :-)

claudia said...

Lovin' the dancing. Cabling in cotton can be quite a bitch, but yours look great. Very nice job.

Its cold here too, too cold for all my new spring/summer clothes. Bummer.

Shelley said...

I love it and what a great job you did! Congratulations on a beautiful FO!

Liz said...

Agnes, it's gorgeous on you! I can tell you that Elizabeth Zimmermann's daughter is named Meg Swansen. I'm guessing there isn't a blood relation, but you never know!

letti said...

it's beautiful!

honeybee33 said...

Nope! No relation whatsoever - Kathy Zimmermann is just a genius with cables!!! ;~D Great job!!!

~ hb33 ~

Sharon J said...

I love that top! I'm really envious now as knitted cotton tops for summer are my favorites. ~Sharon