Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Now the challenge is getting serious!

Okay ... this is the result of my own wedding gown challenge at home yesterday. First of all, background. I didn't really have a wedding gown. We got married 3 years ago in a civilian ceremony in the city hall (or something like that). I wore a cheung-sam I bought with me from Hong Kong. I love this dress because it is elegant and understated. To wear a cheung-sam well, one needs to wear a really fit corset underneath. So, to complete the challenge, I need to fit into that same corset first, then the cheung-sam.

This is the best shot of me in my "wedding gown" on my wedding day:



These are the 2 shots of me in the same dress yesterday:



It seems I'm doing not too bad, huh? At least, I can still squeeze into the corset and then the gown. Yes, the word "squeeze" is just right for the occasion. If you examine the picture on the right, you'll see a lump of flesh hiding on my back ... right under the arm in the picture. That's the result of trying to squeeze into the corset!

So, I was fooling around with the camera, trying to take pictures of myself, in this outfit yesterday afternoon. After about 15 minutes, I started to feel short of breath. If you have watched Pirates of the Carribean, you'll immediately know that this is a sign - one telling me that the clothes I was wearing were too tight! Without a Captain Sparrow to rescue me in case I fainted, I took the cheung-sam and corset off without hesitation!

It is undeniable that I have put on weight since I got married. So, I give myself a challenge. Between now and August 2005, I will do my best to get back in shape. I am not a health freak and I don't go on any diet. What I do will just be exercise. By the time the Wedding Gown Challenge is held in New York, I will also fit into my cheung-sam again ... this time hoping that I can last, maybe, half an hour!

Note on Knitting:
I've made quite a lot of progress on the various WIPs and will post on that tomorrow with pictures.

11 comments:

Liz said...

Your dress is lovely! And you look great in it!

Mine is a 2 piece affair, and I have worn the top of it once a year since we got married. I wear it for a nice evening out since it is a corset style top. It still fits, but I haven't tried the skirt portion, but I am betting that one might be more snug. It was snug on the wedding day, but that's partly because the top pushes everything in! :)

grumperina said...

You look fabulous, and that dress is gorgeous! Keep it up!

Madalyn said...

I think your cheung-sam is gorgeous, and you look great in it.

Lynette said...

You look marvelous in the cheung sam. Wow. I was married (and since divorced) about 15 years ago. There's no way I can get into my gown.

I've been out of touch this past week. There's a lot to catch up on your blog! I tried organizing my books and magazines. I want to index the patterns in my IK issues but I think I'm being too ambitious. Let us know how it goes with maintaining your list.

Karen said...

Agnes,you look marvelous in your dress. I too was married by a Justice of the Peace. My dress was a simple white dress and no....I could not fit into it again. Where were you married? In the US or Hong Kong? Have a great evening Agnes!
Karen

opportunityknits said...

That's a beautiful cheong sum and it looks to me like you can wear it with ease to spare!

Siow Chin said...

Very nice! I can see no lumps in the back.

Laura.Y said...

What lumps and what nots? That's a very nice cheongsam there! And you look great in it! :) Mental note to myself. Get a cheongsam for mine if it ever happens :D

letti said...

that is such a beautiful cheong sam and you're definitely "FIT"!!!!!

Tracy said...

You look fantastic in it!

joy said...

Oh, I think my heart skipped a beat at the thought of trying to fit into my wedding dress. 11 years and 3 kids later...Is there any other challenge out there that doesn't involve the wedding dress? You, on the other hand, look great in your cheung sam!