Monday, April 04, 2005

New England is here

Knitting like there is no tomorrow ... I managed to finish New England last night. This pair is the most complicated pattern I have knitted so far ... and I am happy with the result. The leg part is longer than ordinary sock pattern. The lace pattern at the cuff makes it good for short boots. I like the cast-on method for this pattern. It is called "Double-start Cast-on" which creates a simple but pretty cuff edge. The toe-shaping is different from the usual method I learned from the previous patterns. For this one, you k2tog at the end of each needle. I'm not sure if I like it much. I used Elann's house brand Sock It To Me Essential 4 ply. It may not be the softest sock yarn you can find, but you can't beat the price for the quality. Besides, I really don't need some ultra warm socks right now.

I've seen a lot of sock knitters using sock blockers. I wonder what the advantages are. So, I asked. They told me they are just for good pictures! Well, for me, what is the best way to picture socks other than wearing them?

5 comments:

Kathy said...

Reading about your New England reminds me about the ones I knit! For the record, I made one less repeat in the leg part because I thought they were too long, and I used a traditional toe decrease instead of the one called for in the pattern :). I loved the cast-on... so simple, and so pretty. I'll be sure to use it on some other socks some day. Great job! You know I love the color :).

Suzanne said...

I just wanted to stop by and say Hi and welcome to RAOK. I love your socks - very impressive! The color is fabulous. I look forward to visiting you site more often.

Amie said...

I just got that book last week, and I can't wait to play with some of the patterns - your socks look terrific!

Laura.Y said...

Lovely socks there..:)

rebecca said...

i'm just about to start these! i found your site because i was hoping to find someone explaining the double start cast on. in the book the socks don't look nearly that long, but yours are beautiful. i think i like them better! :) did you follow the stitch count? my gauge is on, but it still seems that the cast on edge will be tight. in any case this is good motivation to make them. :)